A message from President Gilbert

Dear Marshall community,

Wow! What a first week it has been already.

So far, as your president, I have had the pleasure of attending a basketball game on Saturday, participating in a student-led march and the annual program to celebrate the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr. on Monday, and proudly representing Marshall at yesterday’s Higher Education Day at the Capitol in Charleston.

In between those activities, I have begun to tour some of our facilities, met with local media, and am interacting with faculty, staff and students. I am also learning how to use Twitter, so please follow me at @marshallupres.

In the coming days and weeks, I’ll be visiting constituent groups here at the university and sharing my thoughts about what I see as our greatest opportunities.

Initially, I plan to focus my efforts on the following priorities:

• Improving student enrollment, retention and graduation rates;
• Cultivating donors and raising private funds;
• Improving faculty and staff salaries;
• Developing a shared vision and image to help market the university;
• Growing scholarly research; and
• Expansion of doctoral programs.

I see each of these items as critical to our future success—the keys to growing Marshall in both size and quality.

I welcome your input and comments and look forward to meeting many of you as I get around to the various departments and campuses.

Please do not hesitate to provide feedback or ask questions at any time by contacting me at president@marshall.edu.

We are Marshall!

Sincerely,

Jerome A. Gilbert, Ph.D.

———————-

1614-L

Beth Caruthers, University Communications Specialist, Ginny Painter, Senior Vice President for Communications and Marketing, and President Gilbert greet a visitor at Higher Education Day at the Legislature.

1842-L

Bill Burdette (left) and President Gilbert speak with Del. Jim Morgan.

1924-L

Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin makes the proclamation of Higher Education Day.

2024-L

President Gilbert speaks to the media in his office.