Other text:
Alumni Listing

Favorite Memories

Items are added in the order they are received. Comments are added to the site manually, so it may take some time for your comment to appear. If you would like to submit your favorite memory, scroll to the bottom of this page or click here.

My favorite memory would have to be going to Dallas as part of the Directors board. Dr. Bailey got to know the real board when we were all out to dinner at the steak house. We had him in tears of laughter. That was a good time!

My second favorte would have to be all the hours spent going crazy in the studios for audio prod.

Stephanie Elmore - submitted 9/24/2006

I worked at WMUL from 1969 to 1973. My years there began in the basement of the Science Hall. My last semester I was the paid student assistant when Dean Sturm was in charge. My broadcast career began at 88.1, and I have directed TV newscasts for 30 years. I have many fond memories, but vividly recall working in the tiny on-air studio in the basement. On hot summer days, with non-functioning air-conditioning, I actually did my shift with the doors and windows open...and wearing only my swim trunks. Working at WMUL was the best thing I did in college to prepare for a career in broadcasting. I am thrilled by the sucess and acievement the station has enjoyed in recent years.

Arnie Harrah - submitted 10/4/2006

My favorite memory was the at the 2005 AP convention in Canaan Valley. The news department worked extremely hard that year, but we were still shocked to be named Outstanding News Operation. Needless to say, we were all in great spirits that night!

Jen Smith - submitted 10/5/2006

This is a tough answer to narrow down, but I would have to say that WMUL provided a platform for me to work on the always-polishable craft of broadcasting while combining experiences that allowed me to form life-long friendships.

Traveling to represent the station, in some form or fashion, was another perk of working hard during my time there. I am thankful that Dr. Bailey was running the show while I was working at WMUL-FM. We traveled to every end of the country for a covention, awards program or sporting event...and he always said, "Vince, I wish I had a nickle for every mile we have traveled together." So I did the math, and came up with a figure from the trips I could remember off the top of my head, not including AP coventions, and I almost fell out of my chair to find that we traveled approximately 85,960 miles together. That would total $4,298 in nickles.

Another memory was passing Pete Collman as the all-time awards leader, and Dr. Bailey saying, "Vince you may have collected more awards than Pete, but he still has more first place honors than you do. What are you going to do about that?" He knew how to motivate me, and gave me the freedom (and trusted me) to try new things.

I just hope, by the station's 50th Anniversary, I can follow in the footsteps of Randy Lee, Doug Birdsong, Derek Scott and become another one of WMUL's full-time NCAA Division-I play-by-play announcers.

Thank you to the WMUL-FM staff before me for setting a high standard to follow, and good luck to the future WMUL-FM alums on taking what we have made and reaching bigger goals.

Vince Payne - submitted 10/14/2006

I was Dr. Bailey's first Student Manager, twenty one years ago.

I had been recruited by Keith Spears to be the student manager for the 1985-86 school year. Prior to that I was the Programming Director as an undergraduate and was responsible for bringing "Alternative" music to WMUL.

Some time in August of 1985, Spears called me into his office. Chuck was in one chair across from Spears desk and I sat in the other. Spears told me that he was moving on and that Chuck would be taking his place. I really don't remember what Spears said after that, but I felt confused, and when I looked at Chuck, he looked scared.

When we both left Spears office, out in the hallway, Chuck looked at me and said, "Just keep me on the air."

For better or worse, that year, I did keep the station on the air - most of the time. In those days, we certainly weren't the award winning station WMUL is now. But Chuck was just getting started. History has clearly documented the work Chuck did with the station and its national prominence today. But on that day, and for that year, his goals were understandably less ambitious. Looking back on it, it's now clear to me that Chuck knew exactly what he was doing and where he wanted to go. One step at a time, he built WMUL into what it is today. The first step was keeping it on the air; an assignment that was given to me - the first manager under the Bailey administration.

Several years ago, Chuck, the current student manager and I were sitting in a session at BEA, and Chuck looked at me and said, "This is pretty cool. My first, and most recent student manager in the same place." And it was cool.

I still have the plaque, "Steven McClung, Student Manager" that was on my office door at the offices of WMUL. It hangs above the doorway in my garage here in Tallahassee. I'm an Assistant Professor of Integrated Marketing Communication at Florida State University these days. My current job is a culmination of spending ten years in the broadcasting business, both radio and television, in markets like, Charleston, SC, Atlanta and Pittsburgh, and getting a Ph.D. in Broadcasting at The University of Tennessee.

My first job in radio (in Myrtle Beach, SC) was secured by a tape I made at WMUL. The program director at that radio station was actually impressed with other aspects of the tape - promos, production, etc. enough to give me a job.

So if anyone tells you college radio doesn't matter, don't listen to them. My WMUL tape, Spears, Chuck, and all of the people there, have helped me to a career that has seen me meeting United States Presidents Bush and Clinton, Desmond Tutu, B.B. King, countless athletes and Rock stars - and my favorite, Julie Newmar, the original "Cat Woman" on the Batman series. And now I work at one of the best Research Universities in the nation.

I owe a lot to WMUL and the caring, dedicated people there who put up with my stupid mistakes and have helped me all along the way -- and still do. It's my sincere hope, that someday, 20 some years later, all of the students who have passed through those studios will have as good an experience that I have. I don't know how that could be possible, I hade a tremendous experience, but I hope yours equals mine.

Steven McClung, Ph.D. - submitted 10/28/2006

I had just finished engineering "Newscenter 88" and had started the reel of the next program "Herd Round-up".  The intro of Van Halen's "Best of Both Worlds" started up and the announcer began ticking through the day's sports highlights.

I packed everything up and was walking down the hall to the staff room when I heard "Aww crap...that sucked" come blaring over the staff room monitor.  "Ok, from the top, and I'll try not to screw it up this time", followed by "Round-up's" intro music.

Erin Everly popped out of the studio.  "What did you do?", she said.

"Uhm...nothing?" I said.

She grinned.  "Did you listen to the whole reel to find the right cue?"

Obviously not.

Bryan Casto - submitted 10/28/2006

I managed WMUL-FM as a Graduate Assistant 1973-75. Arriving at the station after a class one afternoon, the on-air monitor was strangely quiet. I went into the studio and found it vacant; the only activity was a spinning reel on the receiving side of a reel-to-reel tape player. The next day I encountered the DJ who was scheduled at that time. He said he finished his live segment, put on a pre-recorded public affairs program ... and left. Unfortunately, the person who was to follow him was a no-show! It prompted me to review the procedure at the next staff meeting that you don't leave until your replacement arrives.

Les Smith - submitted 10/28/2006

I have long left Marshall. It was 69 or 70 when I was working at WMUL. I had all kinds of programs rock even Opera if I remember right …it was a fun time. Plenty of stupid stuff happened but here is one for your stories

We were always scrambling trying to queue records, etc…and one day I was scrambling for the weather. I grabbed one off of the table and read the weather… Since the studio was on inside walls you could not see outside. So I delivered the weather….SUNNY highs in the 80’s etc… from the National Weather Service. When I next put a record on, I happened to walk by a room with a window…and it was gray and pouring the rain. I went back to look at the weather…and it was for last week. :) Moral…always have a window…or throw last weeks weather in the trash.

Michael Workman - submitted 10/28/2006

I have to say was working my shift every wednesday night as a grad student in the early 2000's. I Gave my self the title "The Master Gee" and was able to learn alot about how radio worked, one night in particular, I was able to get most of the board members on the mike and we had a neat little discussion on the air about the station. I was also able to do a forum for student elections and have the candidates on air, that was cool. I like to think that WMUL was like my "cheers" I could go there when classes were tough, talk to someone, spend some time on the air and work with some really cool people and learn about something that was TOTALLY out of my realm. My experience with WMUL was very positive. Thank you for that experience.

George Grover, M.ed class of 2001 - submitted 11/1/2006

When I was at Marshall in the early 1970s, the deejays bragged, laughingly, that WMUL broadcast over one square mile of downtown Huntington! The studio was in a very small building between the Science Building and Laidley Hall.

Later in the early '80s when I was working on my master's in speech, my friend was a deejay and stayed in a very small office surrounded by LP's. He let me sneak them home and make copies onto to cassette tapes. I did news reports on the 4 p.m. news for my broadcasting class, and then realized how monotonic I was. I never listened to myself ever again. I haven't seen the equipment now being used there, but I am quite sure it far surpasses the VHS tapes we had to record our stories on in that small little room.

Jenny Drastura - submitted 11/10/2006


I remember the days when WMUL was "10 Hot Watts" from 1971-1975. Those were the years I attended Marshall majoring in Broadcasting. I can honerstly say that those were the best years of my life.

During that time, we were laying the groundwork for the now successful WMUL-FM. Prior to the Class of '75, the only thing that was played was opera and classical music. During our time there we started plying some of the pop songs WGST and WKEE were playing. We also started airing regular campus newscasts. A programming format emerged and most of the classical music was aired during odd hours.

The Radio Staff Room was "the place" to meet your broadcast friends to talk about career dreams and socialize...espciallly to plan the weekend parties and outings. One couple actually met, had a romance there and eventually married all because of WMUL.

Names like Janina (Sauoan)Michael,(DR.) Chuck Bailey, Jack Varney, Roger Sockman, Donna Maynard, Jimmy Carter, Jerry Handley,Bob Carter, and other friends come to mind when I think of WMUL-FM. These were friends I never will forget. And I will never forget my WMUL-FM days as long as I live!

Rosemary (Rosie) Maruish B.A.'75, MAJ, '83. - submitted 11/16/2006

Proud to be there when Prof Stephen Buell started the radio program.

John Hines (B.S. '62, M.A. '68) - submitted 11/19/2006

Congratulations on 45 years of WMUL. That brings back some wonderful memories.

I worked at WMUL during 1964-66, my junior and senior years at Marshall. I started as a "weather girl". At the time, Dr Buehl's philosophy was that women should be mostly behind the scenes.

After much pleading and begging of the program director, Scott Ward, he allowed me and my roommate, Sandra Lilly, to actually do the news 1 day a week each; this was spring of 1965. We were the first women to do that. I don't remember who was actually first, she or I.

My last semester at Marshall, I did more pleading and begging and finally got my own program: a 2-hour Wednesday afternoon show (3-5 pm) called "Hollywood and Broadway". I was the first woman to have her own show. It was truly exciting and loads of fun.

Lynn Carroll (B.A. '66, M.A. '69) - submitted 12/5/2006

I was a part of WMUL from 84-88. Great to see The Rock is still on on Sundays. I had a great time while I was there. Hope to visit in the near future. Keep up the great work!

Lucy Niemann - submitted 12/17/2006

I have far too many WMUL memories to document, however here's one that Dr. Bailey might find amusing. I remember a certain documentary assignment for a certain radio class that required a great deal of time. I actually stayed at the station for two days straight...and I had laryngitis while I was trying to record. I remember that I brought a survival kit to the station with me which included, among other things, thera-flu and fuzzy slippers. It paid off in the end, though. Right now I continue to work in radio; I DJ in Charleston for Electric 102.7. I will never forget all the good times I had while at Marshall working for WMUL. Take care guys...and listen to Dr Bailey, he knows what he's talking about.

Amanda Rhodes - submitted Feb. 18, 2007

I studied at MU between the years of 1993-1997 as a grad student. During these years I worked at WMUL and played Reggae and Turkish format music. I used to work for CNN Turk, but I had to quit for several reasons. Now I am working in family business..I liked the time I spent at MU.(thats why it took me 3 and a half years to earn master's degree...:-)

Mehmet Timur Dilsiz - submitted Mar. 11, 2007

I attended Marshall from 1981-85 and was so fortunate to have actually worked up the courage to find a way to work at WMUL. WMUL kick started my Radio Play-by-Play career and helped generate a passion that continues to grow year by year. I've been lucky to have lived in some wonderful cities and broadcast sporting events all over the country and seen arenas, stadiums and college campuses I never imagained seeing in person. Dr. Chuck Bailey arrived during my junior year and gave me the guidance to improve and confidence to go after my dream. I'm currently a Play-by-Play broadcaster for the University of Nebraska Radio Network. I never would have been landed such a special opportunity if it weren't for my days at WMUL. I'm forever grateful.

Randy Lee Gawthrop - submitted May 16, 2007

I was the sports director in 1981. I did the play by play for the 2nd game ever at the Henderson Center when we beat West Virginia. The year before we did a live broadcast of the first ever win over WVU in Morgantown. I love every second I spent at the station. God bless and many more great years.

Brian Jackson - submitted June 3, 2007

I sincerely miss the days when radio and television were all about fun and learning how to get better. It's become a labor of love for me, and thanks to people/facilities like WMUL and Dr. Bailey, I've been blessed with opportunities to make a life out of this racket.

My days on the second floor of the Communications Building seem so long ago, yet, as I write this in 2007, I realize it was only a little more than 10 years ago. I am ever-thankful to everyone at WMUL and my wife and baby boy Tommy hope to see you here in Florida soon.

Please keep the tradition alive. WMUL is a wonderful place. Dr. Bailey is a dear friend to all of us too.

(Now, can I have my old desk in the staff room back?)

Sean McDowell - submitted August 20, 2007

Glad I found this site! I was a grad student in broadcasting at MU from 9/73 to 5/75. At that time, WMUL was a shell of what it has become today. And everyone there owes a big debt of gratitude to one of my fellow grad students, Les Smith. While I had a graduate teaching assistantship, Les was given an assistantship to work with the radio station.

At that time, WMUL seemed to be the private domain of Dean Sturm. While Dean was a great guy, he held onto control of WUML. At that time, it seems the only "live" broadcasts were the classical music shows at night - of which I had one night per week - and some sporting events.

Dean had many, many taped programs that were OK - if the audience was in their 50's. The only "experience" that most of the broadcasting students were getting was sitting in the booth and changing the tapes. Maybe they would do a live newscast.

Within a semester, Les had changed that! Almost all of the taped shows were discarded and we went on the air with live shows and student programs and never looked back.

If you ever talk to Les Smith, tell him thanks. He is a large part of the reason that WMUL has become what it is today.

Mike McCracken, M.A. 1975 - submitted August 23, 2007

Ahhhh, the wonderful 80's! It's good to see Randy, Brian and Steve here. I came to WMUL in 1980 after working at WWBB in Madison for two years. I had been doing full time mornings and went to two shifts a week (with the occasional newscast)! I have some great memories there. The staff pictures were always fun, not to mention the parties! I always felt a great comarderie with the staff.

One of my favorite memories was getting Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" in advance, tracking it and knowing it was going to hit big time. Charlie Conners and I had a great time picking the songs from it. We played that record to death!

In 1984-85, Ivan Shreve and I started a Friday Afternoon Country Show on WMUL. We got new releases from Davidson's Record store downtown and played all our country favorites. At the time there had never been a country show on the MUL! Ivan also did an updated rewritten version for radio broadcast of "The Iliad" that featured many of the staff in some small role.

I am currently a magistrate in Logan County, but made a couple of my dreams come true along the way - I am a professional wrestling manager called "The Doctor" and manage a wrestler named Psycho. We had some nice success doing that and all those practice wrestling interviews at the station really paid off. Also, I play in a country band called 119 South (www.119southband.com) We have opened for just about everybody in country music over the past 10 years. Life is good!

I also want to send out big "Congratulations" to Chuck Bailey for his lifetime achievement award! See there - Logan County boys can do good!

Jeff Lane - submitted August 27, 2007

My family never believed that I would ever become anything in large market radio, considering speech development issues haunted me in my youth. Not to mention, my backward personality and so on. Luckily, I was given a chance in high school, and decided to not be a cubicle junkie, but rather one of those exciting DJs I stayed up late nights listening to. I was pleased to be among the many that graced the hallways in the Communications Building at the mighty WMUL. Dr. Bailey and Vince Payne also had lots of faith in me. Serving as a DJ, news reporter, anchor, production director, traffic director, improptu morning show fill-in guy, ops guy, Chuck Cook's smoking/supernatural/political consultant, WMUL provided me plenty of opportunity for me to play around and understand how things work. Not just how the technical aspects of radio worked, but how programming decisions made a radio station work...how learning how to deal with many different types of personalities to make them work...without that foundation, I think I would have been among those who just came and gone in the industry. I graduated in '06 with an impressive resume and a great set of call letters to include in that document. WBRB, WMUL, WDGG/WRVC, then to WQBE in Charleston, and now truly blessed to be Assistant Program Director and Middays at WPAW-FM, The All New 93-1 The Wolf in Greensboro, North Carolina.

All the late nights, missed holidays, summers, and weekends later, I hope others have the same opportunities. Thanks to WMUL, I saw beyond the mountains of West Virginia and saw some pretty cool stuff! Ate steak with the greatest of the great (and the steak was never sub par either!), and picked up some great paper to hang in my office. Keep on keepin' on...watch those levels, and remember, you may have done something, really haven't 'done' anything.

Clay "JD" Stimeling/Daniels/Walker - submitted Oct. 21, 2007

I have something exciting to share! Victor Imperi and I got engaged this past weekend (October 19). We met at WMUL and had a morning show together for over a year called the Tuesday Morning Show.

Cole Thompson - submitted Oct. 22, 2007

I remember my fellow broadcasters and I being shocked (one whose heart was damaged, unfortunately) by ungrounded control boards and equipment...all for 10 watts (I believe it was then) of two-block coverage to read the obits and play our fave Beatle records. Somehow I was pegged to intro all the classical music (probably because I could fake accents better than anyone on staff)...I have a cart of that somewhere but it is no doubt ruined from years of travel to various climates up and down the East Coast in search of place.

Good luck, my fellow Marshallites -- and take this dress rehearsal seriously. Everything you learn and experience will serve you well one fine day.

"Ye Olde Public Affairs Director," Class of '76 - submitted Dec. 31, 2007

Technically, I never graduated from MU...and the reason for this is because I spent too much time hanging out at FM 88 while neglecting my studies.

But I'm not bitter--why should I be? The two years I worked at WMUL (1981-83) provided me with a first-rate education in radio, and if I were presented with an opportunity to change the past I wouldn't entertain such a thought for a nanosecond.

I started out working an afternoon shift playing classical music, then worked my way up to the Top 40 stuff in both the mornings and afternoons. (I also dabbled in jazz, classic rock, dance/disco whenever the need arose, i.e., someone was late for their shift.) I was made Production Director during the second semester of 1982-83, and I still have my certificate for "Outstanding Achievement at WMUL" packed away around here somewhere.

Jeff Lane outlined some of the stuff that we inflicted on the Mighty Mule; sadly, I lent my master copy of the Illiad spoof to a friend some years ago and never got the darn thing back. I was tickled to read the contributions from Randy and Brian here as well (Jackson finally graduated during my last year at Marshall).

My favorite WMUL memory of all is when Keith Spears gave Jeff and I some "promotional" tickets to Camden Park in exchange for casually mentioning the attraction on our country music show. (That, and the time Jeff Day and I broadcast a remote on top of our "favorite legal beverage.") Since that day, my motto has been: "I can't be bought...but I can be RENTED..."

I had some great times at FM 88. Pleased as punch to be able to share some of my memories.

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr. - submitted Feb. 13, 2008

Want to add your memory to this page? Fill out the form below and we will get it posted as soon as possible. The contact information is strictly to add your address to our alumni mailing list.

Contact Information (to add you to our alumni mailing list)
Last name
First name
Address 1
Address 2
City State Zip