The Graduate Student Organization is a student-run association that promotes the interests and represents the views of graduate students enrolled in the Biomedical Science (BMS) Graduate Program at Marshall University’s Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine.
Through its leadership, the GSO communicates and collaborates on issues such as classes offered in the program and student admissions with the Graduate Studies Committee (GSC). The GSC comprises faculty from each of the research clusters.
For more information on the GSO, please refer to:
The GSO has four elected officers:
- President – leads monthly meetings
- Vice President – attends monthly GSC meetings to voice the concerns/requests of the GSO as well as reports program updates discussed to GSO members
- Secretary – records information presented at the monthly meetings
- Treasurer – manages the GSO’s finances
2012 – 2013 Officers
Secretary - Ryan Withers
Treasurer - Ben Owen
All students enrolled in the Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program are considered to be members of the GSO. We invite and encourage students in all of our graduate programs, including the Medical Sciences program, to attend and participate in the GSO meetings.
GSO meetings provide a great forum for informing students of important upcoming events, addressing the concerns of the students, and socializing with others in the graduate program.
Quick facts about GSO meetings
- meetings are usually once a month (commonly the first Friday of each month)
- meetings sometimes serve as an opportunity to hold workshops on topics such as putting together a poster presentation, writing a CV, or applying for grants
- complimentary lunch is provided at each meeting
You can read the minutes of meetings by navigating to our Minutes page.
In addition to its regular business, the GSO tries to provide as many social opportunities as possible to currently enrolled students. Regular events include:
- an annual picnic for newly accepted, incoming graduate students
- a party during summer to celebrate the end of classes
- a group field trip in the summer, usually to King’s Island Amusement Park
- an annual Christmas party