Please encourage students to do the following:
- Encourage your student to visit the Career Center or Student Resource Center to take a Career Assessment to learn about career interests, abilities, and values
- Have your student connect with Career Services about their JobTrax account information
- Have your student create a first draft resume and upload to JobTrax
- Discuss the value of connecting with professors and advisors
- Talk with your student about getting involved in campus organizations, activities, and volunteer activities.
This is the critical year for setting career goals, selecting a major and becoming more involved in campus activities.
- Let your student know the importance of declaring a major
- Encourage your student to attend the career expos to network with recruiters and explore job opportunities
- Focus on achieving or maintaining at least a 3.0 GPA
- Encourage your student to join and attend student organizations meetings that relate to your major and career field
- Volunteer on and off campus and Job shadow for career exploration experiences
- Meet with their academic advisor and continue to develop good relationships with professors
- Obtain summer and/or part time jobs that relate to chosen major
- Meet with a Career Services advisor to update their resume
Gain professional skills and experience through internships, volunteering on and off campus, and taking leadership roles in campus organizations.
- Encourage your student to secure an internship related to their field of study
- Be a leader and practice communication skills, problem solving skills in class, and in student clubs
- Continue to keep GPA above a 3.0
- Have Career Services assist with updating their resume and practice interviews
- Attend networking events and utilize the Marshall Mentoring Network
- Find and develop professional references
- Purchase proper business attire for interviews and attend career expos in the Fall and Spring
Fine tune professional skills and make a self-marketing plan. Encourage your student to start early!
- Prepare a final resume with good references
- Make job search a priority before graduation time
- Talk with your student about finding and attending events that will provide networking opportunities
- Encourage attendance at Career Expos on campus to seek employment opportunities
- Sign up for on-campus interviewing opportunities & company information sessions
- Practice interviewing, either virtually on Interview Stream or in person through Career Services