Nursing Informatics is the science and practice that integrates nursing—its information and knowledge—with information and communication technologies to promote the health of people, families, and communities worldwide. For those with a minimum BSN or equivalent, the Nursing Informatics online graduate certificate offers career advancement in the clinical nursing field and offers opportunities for further education, with a Master of Science in Health Informatics as a primary option. The Master of Science in Nursing Informatics program is forthcoming.
What is the Importance of Nursing Informatics?
Having nurses integrated into the field of healthcare information technology and systems will guide them to successfully improve quality of care outcomes for a wide array of patients.
By utilizing better technology like medical records and computerized ordering, nursing informatics will help reduce medical errors, patient care delays, and health care costs.
- Knowledge needed to advance healthcare productivity and safety
- Skills necessary to facilitate innovative treatment solutions
- Vast opportunities for career advancement
Where Will I Work?
- Hospitals (Nursing, Information Systems, Administration, CIO, CEO)
- Clinics and public health facilities
- Long-term care facilities
- Nursing schools
- Healthcare consulting firms
- IT companies and corporations
What Will I Do?
As a professional with a Nurse Informaticist certification, you will take part in developing healthcare technologies, educating the staff, and evaluating the results. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Assess and analyze healthcare technology needs
- Implement technology for improved nursing/healthcare efficiency
- Educate, train and provide support to systems users
- Serving as project managers
- Assisting in ensuring organizations meet federal healthcare laws such as HIPAA
- Minimum 2.5 GPA
- Must hold a BSN or equivalent
- No GRE requirement
|Course Number||Course Title||Credits (18)|
|HP 605||Role of EHR & PHR||3|
|HP 615||Health Quality & Safety||3|
|HP 620||Legal and Regulatory Environment for Health Care and Analytics||3|
|HP 630||Research Methods and Data Analytics for Health Analytics||3|
|IS 535 or IS 623||Applied Healthcare Databases Tools or Database Systems||3|
|HP 650||Practicum (200 Hour Nursing Informatics)||3|
What Is The Salary Difference?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median salary for a nurse with a BSN is $68,450. USFHealth reports a median salary of $93,000 for a Nurse Informaticist.
What Are the Extra Educational Opportunities?
Students who have completed the Nursing Informatics online graduate certificate program are encouraged to continue their education by enrolling in the Master of Science in Health Informatics program or the Master of Science in Nursing Informatics program (forthcoming).