COLLEGE OF EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Student Center of Professional Education Services
- What is a Teacher in Residence Program?
A Teacher-in-Residence Program is an intensively supervised and mentored residency program for prospective teachers during their senior year that refines their professional practice skills and helps them gain the teaching experience needed to demonstrate competence as a prerequisite to certification to teach in the West Virginia public schools. Teacher-in-residence programs require authorization of the WVBE pursuant to W. Va. Code §18A-3-1(e).
- What are the Minimum Requirements?
The prospective teachers-in-residence shall:
- Have completed the content preparation courses with a minimum 3.0 GPA;
- Have met the proficiency score(s) on the state competency exam(s) in pre-professional skills (PPST or PRAXIS Core) or qualify for an exemption as described in Section 6.2.c of WVBE Policy 5100;
- Have met the proficiency score(s) on the state competency exam(s) in content (PRAXIS II Content) or qualify for an exemption as described in Policy 5202 in the area for which s/he is seeking certification.
- The prospective teachers-in-residence shall only be eligible to serve in a teaching position in the county which has been posted and for which no other fully certified teacher has been employed.
The agreement between the institution of higher education and the county board shall include the specifics regarding the program of instruction and the responsibilities for supervision and mentoring by the institution of higher education, the school principal, peer and mentor teachers.
- The salary and benefit costs for the position to which the teacher-in-residence is assigned shall be used only for program support and to pay the teacher-in-residence a stipend that is no less than 65% of all state aid funding.
- The prospective teacher-in residence shall satisfy the requirements for the Teacher-In-Resident Permit as identified in Policy 5202.
- The program must be approved by the WVBE.
- T.I.R. Programs - Fall 2018
Berkeley County Schools
Boone County Schools
Braxton County Schools
Cabell County Schools
Doddridge County Schools
Fayette County Schools
Kanawha County Schools
Lincoln County Schools
Logan County Schools
Mason County Schools
McDowell County Schools
Mingo County Schools
Putnam County Schools
Raleigh County Schools
Ritchie County Schools
Wayne County Schools
Wirt County Schools