Academic Probation/Suspension


When a student’s overall and/or Marshall Grade Point Average (GPA) fall below a 2.0 he or she will be placed on Academic Probation.

How do I find out if I’m on Academic Probation and what does this mean?

If you are placed on academic probation, the College of Education and Professional Development will notify you by mail at the end of the semester in which your GPA falls below a 2.0. Please read this letter carefully, as it details the specific reason for your probation, the privileges you lose, and the obligations you must meet until you raise your GPA above a 2.0.

How do I register for classes for when I am on academic probation?
  • You will have an Academic Obligation Hold on your account until your GPA is above a 2.0. You must meet with the Director of SCoPES to complete an Academic Improvement Plan for each semester you are on academic probation.
  • You may register for a maximum of 15 credit hours per semester (Fall/Spring).
  • Because you are on academic probation, you lose the ability to register online. Therefore, you must register in person, as the Registrar’s office in Old Main.


Academic Suspension is a period in which a student cannot enroll in courses at Marshall University.

Please refer to the Advising Guide or Undergraduate Catalog for clarification of the University Academic Probation and Suspension Policy.

Huntington Campus
Education Building Room 220
One John Marshall Drive
Huntington, WV 25755
Phone: 304-696-3131

South Charleston Campus
100 Angus E. Peyton Drive
South Charleston, WV 25303
Phone: 304-746-1992