Degree Requirements

degree requirements

College of Liberal Arts Degree Requirements

Students completing requirements in the College of Liberal Arts receive the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree, with the exception of the Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in Geography. A minimum of 120 credit hours is required for graduation.




Students in the College of Liberal Arts must complete the following requirements:

1. Total University Hours: All students must complete a minimum of 120 credit hours of college-level work (100-level or greater), including the Core I and Core II requirements, as well as 6 hours of Writing Intensive (WI) credits, 3 hours of Multicultural (MC) or International (IN) coursework, and a complete capstone project in the major.

        Core I: 9 hours

    • 3 hours: First Year Seminar (100-level)
    • 6 hours of discipline-specific courses with an emphasis on critical thinking and active learning (100- or 200-level). Specific courses that fulfill the requirement are designated CT.

Core II: 25 hours  (100- or 200-level)

    • 6 hours: Composition
    • 3 hours: Communication
    • 3 hours: Math
    • 4 hours: Physical or Natural Science
    • 3 hours: Social Science
    • 3 hours: Humanities
    • 3 hours: Fine Arts

2. Major: All students must complete the requirements for the declared major.

3. Upper Division Hours: All students must complete a minimum of 48 credit hours in courses numbered 300-499. Courses transferred from two-year or community colleges or Advanced Placement credit cannot be used to satisfy the upper division requirement regardless of the Marshall University course equivalent. Courses completed at a four-year regionally accredited college transfer at the level at which they were completed at the other institution.

4. COLA Required Courses


Successful completion of 12-hour sequence ending with FRN 204; GER 204; JPN 204; LAT 204; or SPN 204. Students must complete the sequence beginning with the first course they take. Students with at least 2 years of high school Spanish or French can begin with SPN or FRN 112 for which they will receive 6 hours of credit (for FRN 101 or SPN 101) if they earn at least a C. The next course in the sequence would then be Spanish 203 or French 203. Up to 3 semesters may be waived by the Modern Language Department for language taken in high school. This requirement also may be waived through conclusive proof of native proficiency of a foreign language and its culture.

    • HUMANITIES (in addition to the Core II requirement)

Any 3-hour course must be taken from among the following: any Classics course except CL 200, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237; any Philosophy course; or any Religious Studies course except 304, 310, 320, 325, 351.


Hours may be taken from any of the following: any 200-level course except Classics 200; any English 200, 300 or 400 level course in literature (writing courses do not count); any Latin 300 or 400 level course; Religious Studies 220, 225, 304, 310, 351; any course in French, German, Japanese or Spanish literature. Other courses may apply as listed in the Schedule of Courses.

    • SOCIAL SCIENCES (in addition to the Core II requirement)

Courses are to be taken in at least three fields. (Check prerequisites before registering):

      • Anthropology
      • Criminal Justice and Criminology
      • Economics (any course except 328 or 423)
      • Geography (any course except 101, 230, 350, 425, 430)
      • History
      • Political Science
      • Psychology
      • Sociology (any course except 108)
      • Women’s Studies 101
    • NATURAL AND PHYSICAL SCIENCES (in addition to the Core II requirement)

Choose one four hour course from one of the following fields (Check prerequisites before registering):

      • Biology
      • Chemistry
      • Geography 101, 230, 350, 425
      • Geology
      • Integrated Science
      • Physical Science
      • Physics
    • MULTICULTURAL requirement (in addition to the Core II requirement)
    • INTERNATIONAL requirement (in addition to the Core II requirement)


View the current Undergraduate Catalog for Advising Sheets and Four-Year Plans by major.

Download the Graduate Student Handbook from the MU Graduate College.