Frequently Asked Questions

General FAQ

Why does a public university need my support?

Like most other public universities, Marshall University receives only a portion of its revenues directly from state government. Federal dollars are sometimes allocated to specific projects or infrastructure needs. Tuition, which has failed to keep pace with inflation over the past decade, accounts for a small percentage of university revenues.

Marshall University must rely on private donors to support the rest – everything from scholarships to faculty hiring and retention to equipment for classrooms and laboratories. When new buildings are built, state funds pay for the actual cost of construction – but not for the furnishings needed to bring those spaces to life. Gifts and endowments also enable a university to weather the inevitable “lean years,” when budget cuts and competing priorities result in greater challenges for public institutions.
What is an endowment?

An endowment preserves capital, overcomes inflation, and provides long-term, reliable income to the University. For example, a $100,000 scholarship gift might be awarded to deserving students at $5,000 per year – meaning the scholarship fund will be depleted in 20 years. But if that $100,000 were used to establish an endowment, the gift would be invested and a portion of the earnings used to award scholarships. Another portion would be used to increase the principal and offset investment costs. The endowment would therefore continue to grow over time, supporting scholarships for as long as the University exists.
What about smaller gifts?

Every gift makes a difference. Through The University Fund, even relatively small gifts can have a major impact. Just $25 can purchase a new library book or slides and petrie dishes for a biology lab. A $100 gift can help a student research an honors thesis. $500 can support an internship or award a stipend to a graduate student. And when combined with hundreds or even thousands of other “small” gifts, the University can hire new faculty members, offer merit scholarships or meet a host of other critical, ongoing needs.
Can I donate in honor of a family member or friend?

Endowments and scholarships are often named in honor of a family member or friend. Also, naming opportunities for classrooms and gathering spaces, laboratories, and buildings are available for donors who wish to honor or memorialize their loved ones in this manner.
Can I give an anonymous gift?

Yes, donors often choose to remain anonymous. Marshall University always respects a donor’s stated wish for privacy.
Is my gift to the Marshall University Foundation tax-deductible?

Yes, the Marshall University Foundation is a federally-recognized 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Gifts to the Foundation are therefore tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law.
How can I give to the University?

You can make a one-time online credit card donation online, but there are many other quick and easy ways to make a gift to Marshall University.

The Foundation also accepts cash, checks, credit cards, stocks and securities, gifts of real property, in-kind gifts and planned gifts.

Many of these gifts offer tax advantages to the donor.


For security purposes, we do not accept cash sent through the mail. Cash can only be accepted in person at our office.


Please make your check payable to:

The Marshall University Foundation, Inc.
519 John Marshall Drive
Huntington, WV 25703

Credit Cards

Giving online using your credit card is fast, easy and secure. You can direct your tax-deductible gift to the school, unit or program of your choice. University-wide general unrestricted support will go directly to the areas of greatest need such as merit scholarships, academic and student research awards, or faculty recruitment.

Stocks and Securities

These gifts can be donated via registered mail, electronic transfer, or in person to the Marshall University Foundation. A letter of intent stating the purpose of your gift, the number of shares and the name of the stock is required.

Download a printable letter of intent (requires Adobe Reader) that you can fax or mail to the Foundation.

To give by registered mail, send a copy of your unendorsed stock certificates and a letter of intent. Under separate cover, send a signed stock power with bank medallion guarantee seal.

Send both these items to:

R. Scott Anderson
The Marshall University Foundation, Inc.
519 John Marshall Drive
Huntington, WV 25703

To give in person, bring the certificates, signed with a bank medallion guarantee seal, and a letter of intent to the Brad D. Smith Foundation Hall, 519 John Marshall Drive, Huntington, WV 25703.

To donate by electronic transfer, please contact either Lee Graham, Finance Manager, at 304-696-6297 or R. Scott Anderson, CFO, at 304-696-3388.