Diversity Living/Learning Community at Marshall University
For first year students enrolling for academic year 2023-2024
For this scholarship, preference will be given to applicants who best exhibit the potential to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion on Marshall’s campus. The application process will allow interested students to let us know if they have been active in working or advocating on behalf of chronically underserved populations in the past (e.g., participation in organizations that serve these populations) and/or, if they wish to do so in the future.
Prospective students who have achieved a high school GPA of at least 2.75 and would like to be considered for these service/leadership scholarship positions are encouraged to apply to be part of the DLLC. Admitted students should apply if they feel they will add an important element of diversity to the DLLC and are committed to participating in initiatives that will advance diversity, equity, and inclusion on the MU campus.
Successful applicants will receive total annual Marshall University funded scholarships stackable up to $5,000 (WV residents); $8,500 (Metro residents); $11,000 (Non-Residents). This scholarship may be used for the total cost of attendance.
The DLLC scholarship is renewable each year, for up to four years. Renewal criteria include obtaining a cumulative Marshall GPA of at least 2.5 and fulfilling all requirements of DLLC participation. For the second year and beyond, students may choose to live in residence halls of their choice (i.e., will not be required to live together in the DLLC), but they must continue to engage in specified activities as a Diversity Learning Community (DLC) participant. Additionally, as they progress at Marshall, they will have the opportunity to mentor new freshmen who live in the DLLC.
- Complete and return the scholarship application (below) by April 21, 2023.
- To be complete, your application requires one letter of recommendation from a teacher or a high school counselor who knows you well. Recommenders may upload their letters online by clicking on the “Upload Letters of Recommendation” link below or send them via U. S. Mail to “DLLC Scholarship Committee, Marshall University, Office of Academic Affairs, One John Marshall Drive, Huntington WV 25755.” Letters must be received by April 21, 2023.
- Apply for admission and gain acceptance to Marshall University by April 21, 2023.
- Attain a cumulative high school GPA of 2.75 or higher.
- Complete FAFSA form at www.fafsa.ed.gov by May 1, 2023.
- Please describe why you think a diverse campus is important to all students’ educational experience.
- What are your academic/career plans (both short, and long-term)?
- Please describe your involvement in school/community volunteer activities. Include information about relevant awards, honors, and recognitions you have received.
- Briefly tell us why you would like to spend your first year at Marshall as part of a diversity living/learning community (DLLC) and what skills and attributes you would bring to the DLLC.
- We anticipate receiving a large number of applications. Please tell us why you should be selected to receive the Marshall University DLLC Student Scholarship award.
All university application materials and this scholarship application are due by April 21, 2023 for fall 2023 admission.Upload Letters of Recommendation