Welcome to the Honors College at Marshall University. We are happy you have chosen to use the resources of the Honors College to enhance your university experience.
View an Honors College Orientation Video for students.
View the current Honors College Welcome Packet of materials for parents and students.
View the “Welcome to the Honors College” Advising Sheet
There is not a separate Honors College session at Orientation, so please review this checklist carefully. During Summer Orientation, you will meet with an academic advisor from your college. You will receive your schedule for fall classes at that time. As an Honors College student, there are several things you should pay close attention to both at Orientation and in the fall semester. These are outlined below.
- Make sure your academic advisor is aware you are in the Honors College when you meet at Orientation. This will help insure you are getting the sections you need to meet honors requirements.
- Be sure you are NOT registered for FYS100, which is not an honors-designated course. Honors students are required to take FYS100H, not FYS100. The “H” designation is the critical distinction for Honors students. You may take FYS100H in either fall or spring of your first year.
- Please review the list of general education classes offering an Honors section. You can find it here: https://www.marshall.edu/honors/courses. Scroll down to “Honors Designated Courses”. If you are registered for a non-honors section of any of the courses you see there (e.g. PSY201 rather than PSY201H), please talk to your advisor about switching sections or waiting until a future semester to take that course.
- All Honors College students are required to attend a mandatory First Year Check-In during their first semester at Marshall. Watch your Marshall email account this fall for more details about scheduling.
- Take some time to look through the Honors College website focusing on the info under the “CURRENT STUDENTS” tab on the Honors College website.
- Pay special attention to the sub-menu item under “Current Students” titled “SATISFACTORY PROGRESS” as it outlines the requirements for staying in good standing and on track with the Honors College curriculum.
- This website is updated regularly with current notices for events and expectations. Start a habit of checking it regularly. The Honors College is also on Twitter at @MarshallUHonors.
- The Honors College staff is available to help answer questions relating to curriculum, policy, benefits, activities, and the student association. If you’d like, feel free to stop by our offices in Old Main 230 while you are on campus for Orientation. We’d love to meet you.
If you have specific questions about any housing issues (including Honors housing) please go to: http://www.marshall.edu/housing/.
If you have specific questions about any financial aid issues (including Honors scholarships) please go to: http://www.marshall.edu/sfa.