The process for disputing a decision made by the Department of Housing and Residence Life. There are ways to appeal charges for which you are billed, the results of judicial cases, and denials of requests for release from the residency requirement.


The room and building where you will be living.


The cost of having a meal plan while at living on campus. If you choose to live on-campus, there are several meal plans to choose from.

Break Housing:

Allows students to remain on campus during the breaks when the halls are closed. There is a charge for winter break housing, but not for fall and spring breaks.

Cash Equivalency:

The MSC Food Court offers a meal card value called Cash equivalency which is available on all meal plans except the Unlimited Meal plan. Cash equivalency Rates will be posted at each location. Any purchase over the Cash equivalency rate must be paid with cash, points, flex or credit.


The residence halls of Gibson, Haymaker, Wellman, and Willis.


Students who live off-campus and travel to campus each day for their classes; any off-campus student

Damage Bill:

A charge for damage or loss of university-owned property, including keys, furniture, and facilities.

Desk Coordinator (DC):

The employee who works the front desk of each residence hall from 8am-4pm Monday through Friday. The DC is responsible for handling residents’ mail and keys.

Duty RA/RD:

The hall staff members who are on call to handle any problems or concerns that arise in the buildings. There are always Resident Advisors (RAs) and Resident Directors (RDs) on duty for every building.

Early Arrival:

A student who is approved to arrive prior to the published Opening Day date for reasons including on-campus employment, athletics, belonging to a certain campus group, academic or administrative necessity, or in certain exceptional circumstances to move into his or her room prior to the published opening date for Fall and Spring semesters.

Employee Complaint Form:

The form you can submit if you have a problem with a university employee. You can turn it in to your RA, RD or the Department of Housing and Residence Life.

First Year Experience (FYE):

First Year Experience; programs offered by Housing and Residence life that aid first-year students in their transition to college life as well as their academic success at Marshall. This program is housed in Buskirk and Twin Towers East halls.


A webpage that you can submit your maintenance or housekeeping work orders.

Flex Dollars:

Flex dollars are dining currency that accompany selected meal plans that allow customers to purchase items from one of our retail dining locations like the MSC Food Court, MU Express, or Cafe a la Cart.

General Complaint Form:

The form you can submit if you have a problem with another resident or wish to report a rule violation. You can turn it in to your RA or RD.

Health & Safety Checks:

A room and/or suite inspection regimen performed a few times each year jointly by staff members of the Office of Housing and Residence Life as a means to identify and health and safety concerns and/or violations of Housing and Residence Life policies and regulations.

Incident Report:

The form that is used to document when a student violates a residence hall policy.

Judicial Process:

The system that is in place to handle policy violations in the residence halls.

Living-Learning Community (LLC):

A community where students who live together also take one or more classes together. There are often events in the hall that connect to what is being covered in everyone’s coursework or connected by a central theme.

Loan Key:

A key residents may check out at the front desk if they are locked out of their rooms or lose their keys. There is a charge after a resident requests five loan keys in one semester.


Money that you load on your I.D. and use at any establishment on campus. Common uses include laundry, printing, and purchases at the bookstore. This money is not included in a meal plan package.


An activity planned by the Resident Advisor for the residents. It may be something fun or something educational, and may take place inside the building or someplace else. All programs are free to residents.

Quiet Hours:

The published periods during which noise that interferes with a student’s academic study or sleep is prohibited within a Residence Hall.


When a student loses or misplaces a key and reports this to his/her RA or RD, the department initiates a lock change and issues the student a new key. Charges do apply.

Residence Hall Association (RHA):

A student-run group in each hall that make improvements and plan activities for the residents of their building.

Residency Release:

The process of applying for release to live off campus from the University residency requirement.

Residency Requirement:

The University policy requiring all first-year and sophomore students to live in on-campus residence halls unless they have received approval from the Department of Housing and Residence Life for off-campus status, or meets the criteria for being an exempt student.

Resident Advisor (RA):

A student employee (must be at least a sophomore) who lives on the floor with the residents. The RA is trained to answer questions, enforce policies, plan activities, and be a leader and advisor to the residents.

Resident Director (RD):

A staff member who lives on campus and selects, trains and supervises our undergraduate Residence Life staff. He/she manages the operational functions of one to two residence halls which house from 120 to 400 students. Additionally, he or she provides services to students such as personal and disciplinary counseling, as well as developmental, cultural and academic programming.

Room Condition Report:

The form students use to inventory the condition of the room and furniture in their rooms when they move in and out.

Roommate Agreement:

A form you can fill out with your roommate to help you agree on what you do and don’t want. For example, you can decide what hours you want visitors, if you can borrow one another’s belongings, and what times you want to sleep and study.

Signature Events

Group of RA’s, RD’s and residents who plan events and create traditions for the students living in the residence halls.

Student Security:

The student staff who work the front desk during evenings and weekends.

Wait List:

The process by which a student can be considered for available spaces in other types of rooms, or areas of campus.