Computing Services provides the back-end infrastructure, architecture and support for various IT services from managing the network and servers to software integration and web applications development. The group reports to the Senior VP/CIO through the Asst. VP/Deputy CIO and team directors and it includes the following four teams:
Infrastructure Communications team: This team is responsible for the basic network infrastructure including internet services, switching & routing, WiFi infrastructure, firewall security, phone and voice communication.
Infrastructure Data Center systems team: this team manages the university primary data center in Drinko Library, the secondary backup location in Prichard hall and remote sites. The team is responsible for servers, enterprise storage, and infrastructure applications like email and unified messaging.
Enterprise Applications ERP team: this team manages the database and application tiers supporting Ellucian™ Banner© student management system, finance ERP, human resources module and other components like data warehousing and reporting.
Enterprise Applications Web & LMS team: this team is responsible for the design, implementation and maintenance of the university web services including the main Marshall.edu web site, SharePoint document management system and mobile apps. The team is also responsible for the learning management systems (LMS), Blackboard Learn™ supporting eCourse and distance learning.
Current projects & initiatives
|Banner XE implementation||Automated Leave Reporting||Banner Person Data Cleanup|
|EAB Student Enablement||Oracle 12c Migration||Foundation ODS/EDW|
|University ODS/EDW||myCampus Portal Upgrade||Workflow Projects|
|Banner Version Upgrades||Workflow Upgrade||BRM Migration to Recruiter|
|Jumpforward Athletic Compliance||Mobile Platform evaluation||Collaborate Beta test site|
|Bb Learn Upgrade||Collaborate Beta test site||Web framework Redesign|
|WiFi Expansion||Network Switch replacement||Server Consolidation|
|Storage Array Lifecycle||Evaluate DR options||Marshall Health Remote Clinic Infrastructure Upgrade|
|Oracle InSight Security assessment|
Accomplishments for 2014 – 2015
- With the assistance of BUG-D group and data stewards, established a data definition standard to clean person data in Banner and implemented an automated synchronization rule to update Outlook Address book with accurate office address information and phone numbers.
- Participated on RRT teams to first identify opportunities for increasing revenue / lowering costs due to duplication of effort and in administration and finance RRT implementation team to further vet opportunities and develop implementation plans.
- Presented in national and international conferences like Internet2 TechEx Conference 2014, Ellucian Live 2015 and OHECC 2014.
- In collaboration with researchers, applied for NSF CC-DNI grant to improve the network for science based research.
- Worked with Ellucian consultants and user community to identify opportunities to improve Marshall’s use of the Banner suite of products
- Policies, Procedures & Governance
- Reviewed communications policies with the IT Council to refresh and update to align with the current institutional challenges and technology environment
- Started initial phase in streamlining project management by establishing a public project portfolio site and drafting a workflow for project initiation, tracking and completion.
- Initiated a collaborative effort with researchers on campus to establish research computing council to review technology alignment with research initiative and plans.
- Data Center
- Expanded the hosting model for the data center to offer backup services to the medical school as a remote disaster recovery option.
- Increased amount of enterprise storage to include 50 additional terabytes and decrease the cost per terabyte by about 20% and reduced complexity and extended the life of the storage.
- Expanded the hosting model for the data center to host Cabell Huntington Hospital remote backup and disaster recovery.
- Rebuilt High Performance Computing cluster with XSEDE compatible operating system allowing researchers to work with the similar tools they would use in the national HPC systems.
- Unified Communication
- Upgraded employee system from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013 and implement Unified Communication with voicemail, conversation history and email in one location.
- Upgraded Microsoft Lync audio/video/voice conferencing from 2010 to Skype for Business and deployed a pilot for Enterprise voice using softclients and lync compatible phones and planning to deploy campus wide before the existing phone contract expires.
- Network Infrastructure
- Deployed network equipment in new campus buildings: Visual Arts network, athletic Center, Weisburg Engineering Complex.
- Deployed threat-focused Next Generation firewall modules for application security, integrated multi layered thread defense and malware protection for the entire campus.
- Deployed Banner XE infrastructure on Tomcat for all Banner environments.
- Created a Leave Request Process Workflow that has gone through many changes over its lifecycle. Still working on final trigger additions to Ellucian Self Service package.
- Expanded the use of BDM Banner Document Management to include the Registrar, Payroll, School of Medicine, Lewis College of business in addition to Financial Aid and Admission
- Implemented exception time reporting for exempt employees on Web Time Entry (WTE).
- Deployed Apex and ODS for Marshall Foundation & Alumni.
- Executed Banner Extension Utility on all environments.
- Developed a JobTrax Script to populate 3rd party software for Career Services with Banner data.
- Installation, implementation, and introduction of the 25Live environment
- Implemented Publisher Calendar and replaced the old Helios calendar with the R25 calendar Automated online orientation enrollment process.
- Implemented targeted announcement using population selection in Banner and groups in Active Directory.
- Expanded the use of Single Sign On by using portal CAS for most services allowing students/employees to login to one portal and redirect to target service providers without re-authenticating.
- MUOnLine & Web
- Oversaw install and testing of Blackboard Learn 9.1 October 2014 release
- Implemented Single Sign-On with CoursEval and migrated existing surveys.
- Performed Building Block updates
- Maintained and upgraded Blackboard Collaborate.
- Extracted and set up Course Sections from Banner for all terms (2014 & 2015)
- Upgraded WordPress to version 4, and expanded the use of WordPress to include Multicultural Affairs, Faculty senate, Central West Virginia Writing Project, Honors, Yeager and Others.
- To improve staging and development process, completed Web Development Server project and started using versioning using GIT framework.
- Developed a pre-prod PCARD web application.
- Worked with University Communications to develop new Marshall web theme design.