Greetings Prospective Students,
A warm welcome awaits you on the Marshall University School of Physical Therapy (MUSOPT) website. We invite you to take a few moments to explore the site, meticulously review the admission prerequisites, and witness firsthand the remarkable influence our exceptional faculty and students and experts exert on the field of Physical Therapy at both state and national levels.
At MUSOPT, our commitment to excellence in physical therapist education is unwavering. Our aspiration is to deliver education of the highest caliber, cultivating knowledgeable, proficient, and ethically minded physical therapists. To date, our legacy boasts approximately 280 licensed physical therapists. With an esteemed 10-year CAPTE accreditation status, we have garnered recognition as a premier DPT program in the region.
In my role as Chairperson/Program Director, my focal points remain clear. I am resolutely dedicated to advancing excellence across these six pivotal areas:
- Cultivate and nurture a cadre of devoted, impassioned, and adept faculty members.
- Ensure the program offers an academically robust and contemporary DPT curriculum.
- Deliver an outstanding clinical education experience that readies graduates for the challenges of present and future practice.
- Sustain a cutting-edge facility, replete with essential teaching equipment and materials.
- Provide affordable tuition, coupled with scholarships and work opportunities, to alleviate student debt.
- Foster a culture centered on student learning, lifelong education, professional engagement, community involvement, and the generation of new knowledge through research.
I implore you to reflect upon these six facets as you peruse our website and embark on your PTCAS application journey. I also extend an invitation to visit our campus, where you can interact with our faculty and see our well-designed facilities. I assure you that a sense of belonging will envelop you, and the authenticity of the individuals you encounter will pleasantly surprise you.
Below are some of the distinctive attributes that set MUSOPT apart:
- Numerous student scholarships (available for both residents and non-residents).
- Affordable tuition that stands at approximately 17% below the national average for non-residents.
- Paid graduate teaching positions.
- Exemplary student outcomes encompassing Graduation rates, NPTE (National Physical Therapy Examination) performance, and Employment rates.
- A remarkable 80% of our licensed faculty members possess ABPTS Board Certified Clinical Specialist credentials across various specialties (Cardiopulmonary, Geriatrics, Orthopaedics, Neurologic, Sports, and Pediatrics).
- Contemporary facilities encompassing dedicated classrooms, a student lounge, and designated study spaces.
- Early clinical integration via the SOPT) pro bono clinical initiative, termed MUVIT.
- Opportunities for service learning and professional engagement.
- A diverse array of over 1000 clinical education sites.
- An optional DPT/MBA degree
- Embedded counselor to support the mental health of our students
- Multiple Clinical Partnerships with regional colleges and universities that guarantee admission if certain undergraduate metrics are met
- An early-assurance program that guarantees a seat in the DPT program four years after completing an undergraduate degree at Marshall University.
Allow me to leave you with the words of Christopher Reeve, “So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.”
Both the faculty and I eagerly anticipate embarking on this exciting journey alongside you, serving as your educators, guides, and mentors. Our commitment is to unearth your utmost potential and aid you in the realization of your aspiration to become a physical therapist. For any queries, please don’t hesitate to contact me at email@example.com or call 304-696-5614.
Duane “Scott” Davis PT, MS, EdD, OCS
Chair/Program Director, Professor