1. The graduate student must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
2. If the graduate student has unmet costs after other financial aid is considered, a Graduate PLUS Loan offer will appear in the student’s “AWARD PACKAGE” in MILO (log into myMU).
3. To be considered for the Graduate PLUS Loan, the student must “accept” the Graduate PLUS Loan offer (all or a portion of the award) in MILO.
4. The graduate student must also complete a Federal Direct PLUS Electronic Master Promissory Note (PLUS MPN) by visiting studentloans.gov and signing in with his/her FSA ID, clicking on “Complete Loan Agreement,” then clicking “Start” and selecting “PLUS MPN for Graduate/Professional Students.”
5. First-time graduate student PLUS borrowers must also complete Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan entrance counseling by signing into studentloans.gov, clicking on the Complete Loan Counseling link, and then within the Entrance Loan Counseling block clicking on the Start button. Enter “West Virginia” in the School State field and “Marshall University” in the School Name field. Check the “I am completing entrance counseling to receive Direct Loans as a graduate (beyond bachelor’s degree) or professional student” choice, which is within the Select Student Type block on the bottom of the page.
The Federal Direct PLUS Electronic Master Promissory Note (PLUS MPN) signed by the student is valid for 10 years once a PLUS loan is taken out (unless the student applied and was approved with an endorser).
In addition to the PLUS borrower being credit-worthy, to be eligible, the graduate student be enrolled at least half time and meet other general federal student aid eligibility requirements.