Frequently Asked Questions

Career Services
Financial Aid
Military Services
Q: Can I take courses at another institution while still being a Marshall student?

A: Yes. Students earning a degree at Marshall University can attend another institution as a ‘transient student’, and have the credits earned at the host institution transferred back to MU.

Q: What steps do I take to attend another institution as a transient student?

A: If you plan to enroll at another institution, you must complete an Advanced Standing (transient approval) Form prior to enrolling in another institution. The advanced standing forms can be obtained at the Marshall University Admissions Office in Old Main Room 102. You will need to speak with your academic advisor to ensure that the courses you are wishing to take at the host institution will apply towards your degree program here at Marshall. The advanced standing form will need to be signed by the Admissions Office, Dean’s Office of your college, and the Registrar’s Office. At the conclusion of the course, you must request an official transcript be sent from the Registrar’s Office at the host institution be mailed directly to the MU Admissions Office for the credit to be applied to your Marshall record.

Q: If I take courses as a transient student at another institution, how will I know how my courses will transfer to Marshall?

A: That is actually part of completing the Advanced Standing form. When you complete the Advanced Standing form, Admission Office personnel will determine the Marshall equivalent of all courses you list on the form. You will need to provide course descriptions of courses taken at institutions outside WV. Your Dean’s Office can then determine how those courses will apply toward your degree requirements.

Q: How long can I be a transient student at another institution?

A: You may attend another institution for two semesters (not including summer terms) with prior approval. Current Marshall University students who want to take courses at another institution must complete an Advanced Standing Form prior to enrolling at the host institution. If a student does not submit this form prior to enrolling at another institution, the student will be required to pay the transfer evaluation fee and will need to apply as a transfer student. Students who attend another institution for more than two semesters must reapply as transfer students, even if prior approval has been granted.

Q: I’m planning to spend a semester in the Study Abroad program. How do I get credit for courses I take at the visiting institution?

A: You will need to see a counselor in the Admissions Office to complete the Approval to Study Abroad form. You will work with Admissions, Marshall University’s Study Abroad Program and the Dean of your college to determine course equivalencies and to obtain approval for taking the courses.

Q: How can I see what classes I have received credit for from my transferred classes?

A: You can log into your MyMU account and find your academic record in MILO. Your prior courses and MU equivalents will be listed under your academic record. You can also stop by Admissions to pick up a copy of your transfer equivalency worksheet or visit your academic advisor.

Q: How do I get credit taken at another institution applied to my Marshall student record?

A: Once you complete the courses at the host institution, request that an official transcript be mailed from the Registrar’s Office of the host institution directly to the Marshall University Admissions Office in order for those credits to be added to your Marshall student record.

Q: I took Advanced Placement (AP) courses in high school. How can I get credit applied to my Marshall student record?

A: Official score reports must be requested through the College Board and sent directly to the Admissions Office in order for credit to be awarded. Contact for assistance. Score reports from any other source, including guidance counselors, will not be considered.

Q: What scores do I need on AP exams? What credit will I be awarded for my AP tests?

A: For each score of 3 or better, a student can be awarded college credit. See the Admissions section of the current Undergraduate Catalog for equivalent credit awarded.

Q: What CLEP exams are accepted by MU? How can I schedule a CLEP exam?

A: A list of CLEP exams that may be considered for credit at Marshall is available in the Admissions section of the current Undergraduate Catalog. Since colleges and departments have different curriculum requirements and may use scores in different ways, students should consult first with their department or division chairs or their deans’ offices regarding how the examinations would be used. Computer-based CLEP tests are administered by appointment through the Outreach and Continuing Studies office located in Laidley Hall room 127A, phone: 304-696-2330.

Q: How/when can I get my military credits evaluated?

A: After a student has completed at least 12 credit hours at Marshall with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better, evaluation of military credit may be processed through the Admissions Office. Official transcripts and/or documents must be sent directly from the issuing agency to the Admissions office for review.

Q: How do I change my residency status?

A: To petition for a change in residency status, complete an Application for West Virginia or Metro Residency. Requests for changes in residency status for new students will be evaluated by the Admissions Office provided a completed residency application with all required supporting documentation is submitted by the end of the first week of classes of each new term. Thereafter, all requests for changes in residency status for currently enrolled students will be evaluated by the Registrar’s Office.

Q: How do I update my address?

A: You can update your address in MyMU. Newly-admitted students can contact the Admissions Office. Address changes for currently-enrolled students are processed by the Registrar’s Office.

Q: How can I get a copy of a credential in my admissions file?

A: All materials and credentials submitted to the Admissions Office become the property of Marshall University and cannot be returned or released to third parties. We are unable to provide students with copies of their admission credentials. Students should contact the issuing institution or agency to obtain additional copies of credentials:

  • High school transcript – high school or local board of education
  • College transcript – registrar of institution issuing credit
  • ACT Score Report – request online at
  • SAT Score Reports – request online at

AP Scores – request online at

Q: Another department (ex. Nursing, St. Mary’s) need a copy of a document that I submitted to Admissions when I applied. What do I do?

A: While we cannot provide copies of documents to non-MU third parties, we can provide copies of admission documents to another Marshall or MU-associated office by fax or through campus mail when requested by that office.

Q: How do other offices get my scores and grades once they are updated with admissions?

A: Other offices view all admission information in the Banner student information system. If your advisor cannot access updated information, please have them contact the Admissions Office at 304-696-3160.

Q: How much is tuition at Marshall University?

A: A complete schedule of tuition and fees can be found on the Office of the Bursar website

Q: How can I find out if I owe any money to Marshall University?

A: Live account statements are available 24/7 at the Statement/Payment center at

Q: I just registered for classes. When will I know how much my tuition is?

A:Except for the Fall semester, students can view tuition charges online immediately after registration, but additional time may be required for financial aid figures to be updated (Financial aid processing time varies from student to student).

Q: When is tuition due?

A: For planning purposes, you may anticipate tuition payments will be due:

Fall 2nd week of August
Spring 2nd week of December
Summer Terms Throughout May and June
Q: What’s the difference between a due date and a cancellation date?

A:The due date is the last day a student may pay fees without incurring a $25 late payment fee. Students may have varying due dates based on registration date and/or name.

The cancellation date is last date payment may be made before courses are cancelled for non-payment.

Students not paying by the cancellation date will be subject to withdrawal of courses.

Q: Where do I pay my bill and what methods of payment do you accept?


  • Online card or electronic check.
  • By telephone304-696-6620 or 800-438-5389Credit card or electronic check.
  • By mailOffice of the Bursar
    One John Marshall Drive
    Huntington, WV 25755-4200Personal checks, certified checks, or money order
  • In personOld Main Building, Room 101Cash, personal check, certified check, money order, or credit card.
Q: Is there a payment plan?

A:OASIS is Marshall University’s exclusive payment plan for tuition and housing costs for the Fall and Spring semesters (not available for summer terms). It provides for three equal payments of outstanding tuition and/or housing charges after any awarded financial aid has been applied.

The first payment is due in accordance with due date on the paper or electronic billing statement with the remaining two payment due dates specified on the payment contract. The maximum length of the payment plan is typically sixty days, but may be less depending on your enrollment date. An enrollment fee for the payment plan will be assessed equal to 1% of the final two payments, and the first payment will be due upon enrollment. Enrollments are accepted both online and in person.

Q: How do students receive refunds from Marshall University?

A: All student refunds are issued by Marshall through HigherOne and students select refund preferences during ID card activation at Options are:

  • Open a OneAccount through HigherOne: Students receive refunds the same day the school transmits them to HigherOne.
  • Select an electronic transfer to another bank account: Takes an additional 2-3 business days.
  • Receive a paper check: Takes an additional 5-7 business days.
Q: When can I expect my Financial Aid refund?

A: Once financial aid has been applied to your student account, it takes the Office of the Bursar 7-10 business days to request the money from the various funding sources, process those funds and prepare your refund. The earliest disbursement date for any semester is the first day of classes as identified on the official Marshall University Academic Calendar.

Q: I dropped a class. When can I expect my refund?

A: Tuition and fee refunds take approximately three weeks from the date of the transaction creating the financial credit.

Q: Financial aid pays my tuition and I dropped a class. When can I expect my refund?

A: The three week refund window still applies, although all financial aid recipients must have their accounts reviewed by the Office of Student Financial Assistance prior to the issuance of any refunds.MONIES MAY HAVE TO BE RETURNED TO THE FUNDING SOURCE.

Q: What type of documentation will I receive to assist me in claiming higher education tax credits?

A: Marshall University provides 1098-T forms to assist families in claiming the available higher education tax credits. These forms are mailed to the student’s permanent address before January 31st each year, and are available online at Forms are provided to all students whose tuition and eligible expense charges for the tax (calendar) year exceed the amount of scholarships, grants, and waivers received during the tax (calendar) year.

Q: Who can receive services at Career Services?

A: If you are a current student you are welcome to use our services and even come in to use computers or even study in a quiet area. As alumni you can continue to use our services through your career.

Q: Are appointments to visit the Career Services Center required?

A: Appointments are recommended, but the Career Services Center is open to walk-ins as well.

The time spent at Career Services will be dependent on what services you need. Please check the websitefor a list of services. To be prepared for the visit, it is recommended that you visit the Job Trax page and upate your information there. If you do not remember your password, please contact us.

Q: Where is the Career Services Center located?

A: The Marshall University Career Services Center is located on the corner of 5th Avenue and 17th Street across from the Campus Christian Center and beside the Harless Dining Hall.

You can also consult the Marshall University Campus page for maps and directions to all University facilities.

Q: What is JobTrax?

A: Marshall JobTrax is Career Services’ online student and employment database. Users can search for part-time, internship, or full time positions online. Post your resume and cover letters for jobs or internships. You can also log into Interview Stream to practice your interviewing skills.

Employers can register and post part-time, full-time, internships, and seasonal opportunities.

If you are searching for contacts or a mentor you may access the Marshall Mentoring Network on JobTrax. For more information on this program please contact us.

Q: How do I register for JobTrax?

A: Students, alumni, faculty, and employers can register for JobTrax online from our website, Once registered, complete your profile information and upload documents such as resumes and cover letters. If you experience any difficulty registering for JobTrax you can stop by the office for assistance or call 304-696-2370.

Q: What can you do for a student who is unsure about their major or career path?

A: The first step in the process is accessing and exploring SIGI3. SIGI3 incorporates your self-assessment with in-depth and up-to-date career information that is easy to use giving you a realistic view of the best educational and career options for your future success.

You discover your work-related values, interests, and skills to educational and career pathways. A list of occupations based on your interests, values, and skills will be created for you. Up to date information and printouts on hundreds of occupations can be found there as well as education and training requirements for each occupation identified.

Contact Career Services at 304-696-2370 or to obtain an access code.

If you are still puzzled with choosing a career path or field of study, meeting with a career adviser may be in order. If you are a freshman or sophomore you may walk in anytime to the Student Resource Center located in the Memorial Student Center on the second floor to meet with a Career Advisor or walk in to make an appointment at the main Career Services Office.

Q: If students need part-time work what should they do?

A: There are a few steps job searchers can take to find a job using Career Services.

First is to always think about finding a position that is in your field of study or something you are interested in doing.

Second, develop a resume. The Career Advisor at the SRC or advisors at the Main Career Services offices can assist you, as can the Marshall University Career Services online database, JobTrax. Post resumes and seek employment on JobTrax.  Unfortunately Marshall University student and/or on-campus jobs are not required to be posted on JobTrax. you may find yourself walking around campus to different departments seeking part-time work. For more information, please contact us at 304-696-2370 or visit our part-time jobs page.

Q: Will you place me in a full-time job?

A: We are in the business of connecting students and employers. What we can do for you is to give you all the tools you need in your toolbox to find that first job following graduation. We do not screen for employers or “place” individuals in jobs on or off campus. The Career Staff can help you fine-tune your resume, assist in your development of interviewing skills, help you with connecting and networking with individuals in your field of study and help you to develop a job search plan. Start early!

Q: What is the big deal about an internship?

A: If you are going to school with hopes of bettering your earning power, then let the money do the talking. There is a definite advantage for students who have internship experience according to NACE’s 2010 Student Survey. Overall, students who had internships in 2010 received an average salary offer of $41,580 while those who did not take internships received an average starting salary of $34,601. Access JobTrax or come in to see a Career Advisor to assist you with internship opportunities. Step outside the box and find an internship of a lifetime.

Q: How do I know how much financial aid I am qualified to receive?

A:Students may access their financial aid records by logging onto their myMU account. For more information on how to check the status of your financial aid, your awards and requirements, visit and click on the Notification/Disbursementtab.

Q: What is financial aid verification and why am I selected?

A:Verification is the process in which Student Financial Assistance (SFA) – as dictated by federal and state regulations – compares the information you reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) with your prior-year federal income tax returns, W-2 forms, and other financial documentation. Students are randomly selected by the federal financial aid processor for verification. For more information about financial aid verification, visit and click on the Eligibility tab.

Q: When will I receive my financial aid?

A:The earliest your financial aid may credit to your billing account is 10 days before the semester begins. However, your financial aid will not credit to your student account unless all eligibility requirements have been met and verification has been completed. You must also accept your financial aid award offers by logging onto your myMU account. In addition, if you are taking out a student loan, you must have completed entrance loan counseling and completed a master promissory note for the respective loan program by going to

For more information about financial aid disbursement dates and reference to the 2010-11 Academic Year Financial Aid Disbursement Schedule, visit and click on the Notification/Disbursement tab.

Q: How can I pay for my books with my financial aid?

A:When your financial aid for the semester/term exceeds your direct charges (tuition, fees, etc.) on your student bill, you are entitled to a refund for the difference for use toward other educational expenses such as books and living expenses. The Bursar’s Office issues refunds to students beginning the first day of classes. Only those students whose financial aid was credited 10 days prior to the semester/term with a credit balance will receive a refund on the first day of the semester/term. Following the first day of the semester/term, it takes approximately one week after financial aid is disbursed for the Bursar Office to issue a financial aid refund to a student.

It is important to note that if you depend on your financial aid to purchase your books, as explained above, the earliest you may receive a refund is the first day of classes. Please plan accordingly.

A student may choose one of three financial aid refund options:

  1. Depositing the financial aid funds directly to his/her Higher One card account;
  2. Direct deposit to a current bank account; or,
  3. Receiving a paper check by mail.

For more information about financial aid refunds visit the Bursar Website at

Q: I have special circumstances that can’t be explained on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). What do I do?

A:The rules and the formula to determine financial aid eligibility are standard for all applicants. However, there is some flexibility, when appropriate, for financial aid administrators to exercise professional judgment on a case-by-case basis to override the student’s dependency status and/or recalculate the student’s eligibility for financial aid. However, this may only be done when the circumstances are extraordinarily unusual and they can be thoroughly documented. Submitting an appeal for special circumstances does not guarantee that it will be approved or additional financial aid will be granted. Your appeal must be received at least 30 days prior to your last day of enrollment for the current academic year. You will need to allow 2 to 4 weeks processing time for appeals. For more information about appealing to the Office of Student of Financial Assistance due to special circumstances, please visit, click on theEligibility tab and then on the Special Circumstances tab.

Q: Do I have to apply for financial aid every year and what is the deadline?

A:Yes, you must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid on an annual basis beginning January 1 prior to the academic year you are applying. The priority filing date for the FAFSA is March 1 prior to the academic year the student is attending for full consideration of all federal, state and institutional financial aid programs. You may file the FAFSA after this date, but keep in mind that if you wait until the last minute to apply, some financial aid programs may not be available to you and your financial aid awards may not be finalized by the billing due date. For more information about financial aid application procedures, visit and click on theApplication Process tab.

Q: Is there financial aid available for summer school?

A:Usually students that qualify for Federal Pell Grant may receive Federal Pell Grant to attend summer school. Some students may also qualify for Federal Direct Loan if they have remaining eligibility for the award year. Other financial aid programs may be available on a limited basis.

If you wish to apply for financial aid for the summer, in addition to filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you must also complete a Summer Financial Aid Application. Summer is a non-standard term, which requires the Office of Student Financial Assistance to collect additional information which is not provided on the FAFSA.

To obtain a Summer Financial Aid Application, go to, click on theForms & Applications tab, and then on the General Forms & Applications tab.

Q: Will I lose my financial aid if I withdraw from a class or withdraw from the University?

A:You could jeopardize receipt of some types of aid if you are not properly enrolled at the time that financial aid funds disburse. You may have originally been packaged as a full-time student, but at the time your funds are ready to disburse, your enrollment status may differ. Your change in enrollment may impact the eligibility for certain funds.

If you do not attend for a period of enrollment that you have been awarded financial aid, the Office of Student Financial Assistance must cancel all financial aid awards offered to you. Upon re-enrollment, you can request assistance again, but, because awards are based on the availability of funds, funding may be limited.

If you plan to withdraw from any of your courses during an academic term, you should consult with a Financial Aid Counselor for proper advice regarding your financial aid. Withdrawing from courses may prevent you from making Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress and affect eligibility for future financial aid assistance. Students who cease attending all courses must follow the official withdrawal procedure as defined by the Registrar’s office to obtain an official withdrawal date.

When you withdraw from all courses on or before the 60% point in time of an academic term, the Office of Student Financial Assistance is required to review your financial aid awards to determine whether financial aid funds must be adjusted in accordance with federal and state regulations. The policies on treatment of financial aid for total withdrawal are specific to each designated financial aid program and are applicable only if you have received those particular kinds of funds. If you received various types of financial aid, more than one policy may apply when determining revised financial aid eligibility.

For more information about the impact of withdrawing and your financial aid eligibility, visit, click on the Notification/Disbursement tab and then on theImpact of Withdrawal tab.

Q: I don’t think the VA gave me the right amount of money this month. What do I do?

A: For information regarding your VA benefits contact the VA by telephone at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551). Also, be aware that this line only accepts calls from 7:00 AM – 8:00 PM central time (8:00 AM – 9:00 PM EST) and you may experience long hold times.

Q: How do I learn more about my VA benefits?

A: An excellent starting point is the VA GI Billwebsite:

You can also call 1-888-GIBILL-1(1-888-442-4551).

Be advised this line only accepts calls from 7:00 AM – 8:00 PM central time (8:00 AM – 9:00PM EST) and you may experience long hold times.

Q: Who does the certification for my classes?

A: Lora Varney is our VA certification specialist. Her office is 106A in Old Main. Ms. Varney’s phone number is 304-696-2254

Q: I am feeling alone after coming from the military to the campus. Who can help me?

A: There are multiple resources available to veterans to help them transition to civilian life. Kelly Sweetman the director of Military & Veterans Affairs is an excellent first stop to help you get where you need to be. Her office is 133 Laidley Hall, phone number 304-696-5278, or email

Marshall also has a veterans and active duty student organization called Vets4Vets. Their office is located in Prichard Hall 140. This group is run by veterans and is an excellent source of support for our veterans and active duty service members on campus.

Q: I feel that I am not doing well emotionally and fear I may hurt myself. What can I do?

A: Call 1-800-273-TALK. Veterans press 1 immediately.

Also, Tamatha Miller is the suicide prevention co-coordinator for the VA here in Huntington. Her details are as follows:

Miller, Tamatha
Huntington, WV 25704
Phone: 304-429-6755 x371

Q: I am considering a career in the military but don’t seem to be able to locate an Officer Selection Officer to help me.

A: Some branches of the service do not have Officer Selection officers in the state of West Virginia. However, there are Officer Selection Officers for each service. Kelly Sweetman, Director of Military & Veterans Affairs is in contact with all the Officer Selection Officers for the state. You can also get information on each service from her and she can set up an interview for you with the service you would like to find out more about.