Commuter Student FAQs

Where do I get my ID card?  
You can get your ID card on the first floor of Drinko Library. You’ll need your MUID for nearly every transaction on campus including checking out books at the library, obtaining tickets for athletic events, entry to the Campus Recreation Center, printing in computer labs, etc. The ID Office makes photo identification cards and badges for Marshall University students, faculty, and staff. The ID Office is required to verify the identity of any individual requesting a card with a valid, Government issued photo ID such as a driver’s license or passport.  All identification cards issued will bear the individual’s official name on record with the University.

Where can I find my class schedule? 
If you have any questions about scheduling classes, contact the Registrar’s office at 304-696-6410 or stop by their office in Old Main 106A. You can also find your schedule on your MyMU account located on the homepage of Marshall University’s website.

How is a commuter student different from a residential student?  
Commuter students face many unique challenges while attending college. Commuters may have very limited time on campus during the day because of driving time, schedules, and work. Sometimes, if a commuter does not have class or work, he or she may not even come to campus. Commuters may have family and work responsibilities in addition to classes.

Where can I park on campus?  
The Marshall University Parking Enforcement Office is located in the Office of Public Safety building at 1801 Fifth Avenue. Office hours are Monday thru Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Permit parking is enforced from 7 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday and 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Friday. Surface parking permits are for six months and the full year. A student surface-parking permit will allow you to park in any designated M.U. Student or General permit parking area on campus. Parking permits for the Third Avenue Parking Garage are available. Garage permits are for six months and the full year.

Where do I find out what books I need and where can I buy them?
The Marshall University Bookstore is located in the Memorial Student Center. All class books are available there. You should take a copy of your class schedule with you. There are tags for each book indicating the course and professor for which the book is required. You can also ask one of the bookstore’s friendly staff members for assistance.  Another option for finding your books is to buy them from other students on campus. Students sell their books by posting signs in the residence halls and the Student Center.

I need to use a computer. Where do I go? 
Several computer labs are available on campus, including labs in nearly every classroom building, Drinko Library and the Memorial Student Center.

I’m not feeling well. What do I do?
Marshall University Student Health, located at Cabell-Huntington Hospital on Hal Greer Boulevard, is available for your acute medical needs. Call 304-691-1100 for additional information or to make an appointment. Appointments are not required but are encouraged.

What are some things I should keep in my vehicle?
You should keep jumper cables, a bucket of sand (in case you get stuck), a shovel (for the snow), an ice scraper, de-icer, a box of tools, a flashlight, flares,  blankets, antifreeze, windshield wiper fluid, some non-perishable food items, spare eating utensils, and a change of clothes (in case you have to stay on campus).

The weather outside looks frightful! How do I know if my class is canceled?
You can check the MU website, local radio, and TV, or sign up to receive emergency text message alerts from the University. You can sign up for these message alerts at Click on the red MU Alert symbol and follow the instructions to opt-in.

What about getting involved in student organizations? 
For a list of all recognized student organizations (as well as information on how to start your own organization), visit our Office of Student Activities office in our Lead Center located in the Memorial Student Center’s Lower Level.

Commuter Student Home