FAQs for Commuter Students

Who is a “commuter” student?  A “commuter student” is defined as a  student who does not live in university-owned property and has to commute to campus each day for classes.  Students NOT considered commuters are those  who live in the residence halls, fraternity, and sorority houses.

Where do commuters usually live?  At MU, we typically have two kinds of  commuters:  those who live just off campus and those who live at  home.  Those students living just off campus are students who typically rent houses or apartments during the months of August through May.  “At  home” students are students who live with their families or live off-campus year-round.

Where do I get my ID card?  You can get your ID card at the Campus ID office located in  the lower level of the Memorial Student Center.  Your ID is needed for nearly every transaction on campus including checking out books at the library,  obtaining tickets for athletic events, entry to the Campus Recreation Center,  printing in computer labs, etc.

Where can I find my class schedule?  If you have any questions about scheduling classes, contact the Registrar’s office in Old Main at 304-696-6410.  You can  also find your schedule on your MyMU account located on the homepage of Marshall University’s website.

How is a commuter student different from a  residential student?  Commuter  students face many unique challenges while attending college.  Commuters have to wait around campus in between classes and work instead of returning home.  Commuters may have very limited time on campus during the day because of driving time, scheduled, and work.  Sometimes, if a commuter does not have class or work, he or she may not even come to campus.  Commuters may have family and work responsibilities in addition to classes.

Where can I park on campus as a commuter student?  Temporary permits are  sold in the Parking Enforcement Office located in the Office of Public Safety  on the corner of 18th Street and 5th Avenue.  The permits are sold for  $2.00 per day, $10.00 per week or $40.00 per month. Semester and academic year permits may also be purchased. The office hours are Monday through Friday,  8:00am – 4:30pm.  Parking regulations are enforced throughout the entire  calendar year and are not directly associated with the class schedule.   Parking citations are issued Monday through Thursday from 7:00am – 7:00pm,  Friday from 7:00am – 4:00pm.  All other violations are enforced 24/7 by  the Marshall University Police Department.

Where do I find out what books I need and  where can I buy them?  The Marshall University Bookstore is located in the Memorial Student Center.   All class books are available there. You should take a copy of your class schedule with you.  There are tags under each book indicating the course and professor for which the book is required.  You can also ask one of the friendly bookstore staff members for assistance.  Another option for finding your books is to buy them from other students on campus.  Students  sell their books by posting signs in the residence halls and in the Student  Center.

Where can I eat on campus?  There are many options for dining for commuters on  campus.  In the Student Center you will find a variety of options,  including Sweet Sensations where you can find Starbuck’s coffee.  Marshall also offers commuter meal plans for the Harless and Twin Towers dining  halls.  These can be purchased in the Campus ID office in the lower level  of the Memorial Student Center.  If you wish, you may also pay with cash or a credit or debit card in the Harless and Twin Towers dining halls.

Does “Week of Welcome” pertain to  me?  Yes!  There are many  activities in which you will want to participate.  Please join us for all  of the weekend activities posted at.

I need to use a computer.  Where do I  go?  Several computer labs are available on campus, including labs in nearly every classroom building, the Drinko Library, the residence halls and the Student Center.

I need to get my email address.  Where  do I go?  A free campus email account is available to all students.  To get your email account and  instructions on how to use the email system, to Computing Services in the  Drinko Library on the first floor.  Bring an ID.

I’m not feeling well.  What do I  do?  Marshall University Student  Health, located at Cabell-Huntington Hospital on Hal Greer Boulevard, is  available for your acute medical needs.  For more details, please visithttp://www.marshall.edu/wpmu/studenthealth/ or call 304-691-1100 for additional information or to  make an appointment.  Appointments are not required but are encouraged.

What do I do if my vehicle breaks down or  if I’m stranded on campus because of bad weather.  Try to make arrangements with a friend or two in the residence halls, fraternity, sorority or nearby home so that you can stay with him or her in an emergency.   If your car breaks down while on your way home, pull to the side of the road and out of the way of traffic.  Turn on your hazard lights and raise the hood so  others will know you have broken down.  If your cell phone does not have  service, try to avoid walking to another phone.  If another driver stops  to help you, ask him or her to contact the police or call for assistance.  Lock yourself in the car and do not get out of your car for anyone other than  the police or a service truck.  Also, be familiar with emergency roadside assistance programs offered by your insurance company or auto manufacturer.

What are some things I should keep in my vehicle?  You should keep jumper  cables, a bucket of sand (in case you get stuck), a shovel (for the snow), an ice scraper, de-icer, a box of tools, a flashlight, flares,  blankets, antifreeze, windshield wiper fluid, some non-perishable food items, spare eating utensils, and a change of clothes (in case you have to stay on campus).

What recreational services are available on  campus?  A variety of  recreational facilities are available on campus – from residence hall activities to campus programs to the Marshall Recreation Center.  Call  304-696-4REC for the Recreation Services front desk, or stop by for more information.

The weather outside looks frightful…how  do I know if classes have been canceled?  You can check the MU website, local radio and TV, or sign up to receive emergency text message alerts from the University.  You can sign up for these message alerts on myMU and clicking on the red MU Alert symbol and following the instructions.

Where can I find out about campus policies  for students?  The Marshall University Student Handbook covers all student policies.  The Handbook is available online here.

How can I meet people on campus?   You get involved in intramurals, join student  organizations, attend campus and residence hall programs, study on campus, and  hang out at the Student Center.

What about getting involved in student  organizations?  For a list of all recognized student organizations (as well as information on how to start your own organization), go to the Student Activities office in the Student  Center, Room 2W31.

Other Helpful Information…
Looking for on-campus or off-campus  jobs?  Visit Career  Services, 1681 5th Avenue, 304-696-2370.

Not sure you’re in the right major?  Visit University College, Laidley Hall, 304-696-3169

Have questions about financial aid and  student loans?  Visit the  Financial Aid Office, Old Main 116, 304-696-3162 or 1-800-438-5390.

Have questions about your student  bill?  Office of the Bursar,  Old Main 101, 304-696-6620 or 1-800-438-5389.

Have questions about your student schedule?  Office of the Registrar, Old Main 106A, (304)  696-6410.