What to do if…

What Can You Do If You Are Harassed?

Stand up for yourself! Look the person in the eye and speak in a strong clear voice.

Tell the harasser to STOP! Make it clear that you do not like the behavior and you want it to stop now.

Talk to someone you trust. Ask for help, support and guidance. Everyone needs to talk to someone who cares. Don’t remain silent. Don’t carry the burden alone.

Write down details of what happened. Be sure to include WHO did it, WHAT the person did, WHEN it happened, WHERE it happened and WHO saw it.

Report it. File a formal complaint if the harassment continues.

Take legal action. When no other resource exists, you may choose to file a lawsuit under federal law Title XI.

Depending on the situation, you may have the right to file a complaint with one of the following:

  • West Virginia Human Rights Commission (304-558-2616)
  • West Virginia Department of Education (304-558-3401)
  • U.S. Department of Education Office of Civil Rights (215-656-8541)

(Information in this section taken from West Virginia Foundation for Rape Information and Services,www.fris.org)