Inspired by the example of John Marshall, we, the students, faculty, and staff of Marshall University, pledge to pursue the development of our intellects and the expansion of knowledge, and to devote ourselves to defending individual rights and exercising civic responsibility. We strive to exemplify in our own lives the core values of John Marshall’s character: independence, initiative, achievement, ethical integrity, and commitment to community through association and service. As Marshall University, we form a community that promotes educational goals and that allows individuals maximum opportunity to pursue those goals.
- An Educational Community in which all members work together to promote and strengthen teaching and learning;
- An Open Community uncompromisingly protecting freedom of thought, belief and expression;
- A Civil Community treating all individuals and groups with consideration, decency, and respect, and expressing disagreements in rational ways;
- A Responsible Community accepting obligations and following behavioral guidelines designed to support the common good;
- A Safe Community respecting each other’s rights, privacy and property;
- A Well Community respecting and promoting physical and emotional health;
- An Ethical Community reflecting honesty, integrity and fairness in both academic and extracurricular activities;
- A Pluralistic Community celebrating and learning from our diversity;
- A Socially Conscious Community acting as citizens of the world and seeking to contribute to the betterment of people and their environments; and
- A Judicious Community remaining alert to the threats posed by hatred, intolerance and other injustices and ever-prepared to correct them.