Heart of Appalachia Talent Search (HATS) Program
The Heart of Appalachia Talent Search Program would like to serve as an example to our students regarding the importance of community service. With this concept in mind, we will be collecting items from November 8th through December 6th for the Veteran’s Home located in Barboursville, WV.
In an effort to encourage student participation, we are hosting a contest for our service schools. The HATS students who collect the most items for their school will win a pizza party.
We will be having a Christmas Party on Saturday, December 14th from 1:00 – 4:00 p.m. at the Marshall University Campus Christian Center where we will assemble individual care packages for our veterans. We have activities planned for students and will also provide some delicious holiday appetizers.
Community Service Project Competition
- Students in the HATS Program at Hannan High School, Point Pleasant Junior Senior High School and Wahama High School will compete against each other.
- Students in the HATS Program at Spring Valley High School, Tolsia High School and Wayne High School will compete against each other.
- Students in the HATS Program at Buffalo Middle School, Ceredo Kenova Middle School, Crum Middle School, Fort Gay Middle School, Vinson Middle School and Wayne Middle School will compete against each other.
- To encourage participation in the Veterans Service Project, students in the HATS program who collect the most items within their county for their school, will be the recipients of a special event during the school day.
- If you donate an item that is in a multiple pack such as socks or cotton swabs, they will be counted as one item. For instance, you couldn’t turn in a pack of 500 cotton swabs and expect them to be counted as 500 items.
- Donations must be new and still in the package.
Example of items needed:
Shampoo – Deodorant - Toothpaste – Toothbrush
Shaving Lotion – Gel Soap/Body Wash - Socks - Board Games
If you have any questions about this event don’t hesitate to contact the HATS Office at 304-696-2941 or you can email our Director, Angela Holley at Holley1@marshall.edu
If you would like to spread the word about the event you can use the flyers linked below.
If you plan on attending this event on December 14th from 1:00 to 4:00 at the Marshall University Campus Christian Center you will need to register here.