College H.E.L.P. Application Checklist
Any Marshall University student or prospective student with a diagnosed Specific Learning Disability and/or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, who meets the following criteria, may be considered for admission to the H.E.L.P. Program. The following information must be submitted:
- H.E.L.P. Application Form and $50.00 nonrefundable application fee. A photograph is optional, but helpful.
- Copies of testing with a diagnosis of ADHD and/or SLD. Testing must include an intelligence test given under adult norms no more than three years old. In addition, an educational evaluation assessing reading, math, and written language must be provided that is no older than one year old. Provisional admission to College H.E.L.P. is possible pending updated testing.
- If updated testing is needed, the H.E.L.P. Program offers Diagnostic Services. Call (304) 696-6315 for information regarding diagnostic testing.
- Two references, other than family members, stating why that individual feels the student should attend college.
- One-page hand-written statement by the student (without help) regarding why college is desirable to him or her.
- An interview is required for admission to H.E.L.P. Call (304) 696-6252 to schedule an appointment for the interview.
- To participate in H.E.L.P. you must be admitted to Marshall University, which is a separate application process. If a student does not meet the admissions criteria for Marshall, H.E.L.P. does have the option of writing an exception letter. However, this is not a guarantee that the student will be admitted. If the admissions committee accepts our appeal, the student will be required to commit to two semesters with H.E.L.P.
- If a student is taking medication, a statement from the physician regarding the medications prescribed is recommended.
Mail Application Materials to:
Marshall University H.E.L.P. Center
520 18th Street, Huntington, WV 25703
Phone: (304) 696-6252
Fax: (304) 696-3231