C. Bosworth “Bos” Johnson

Class of 1969

Bos Johnson earned his A.B. from West Virginia University in 1949 and his Master’s Degree from Marshall in 1969. He worked at TV stations in Bluefield in 1948 and in Morgantown from 1948-1952 before moving to Huntington in 1953 to take a position at WSAZ-TV 3. He was named news director and principle anchor in 1960, a position he occupied until 1976 when he became an associate professor of journalism at Marshall University where he taught for 12 years. He left Marshall in 1988 to become vice president of Charles Ryan Associates.

It was Johnson’s voice that was heard repeatedly interrupting programming on Nov. 14 as he covered the plane crash that claimed 75 Marshall football players, coaches and fans in 1970. He said the Marshall plane crash was by far the saddest news story of his career.

Johnson was treasurer of the Radio Television News Director’s Association (RTNDA) from 1968 to 1973 and served a president from 1973-74. He has a history of community service commitments including president of Cabell-Wayne United Way, chairman of the Huntington Regional Chamber of Commerce, member and chairman of the West Virginia Educational Broadcasting Authority, board member of Leadership Tri-State, board member of Cammack Children’s Center, Cerebral Palsy Council and the Marshall University Library Associates. He was appointed to the Huntington Board of Zoning Appeals. He received the Preceptor Award from San Francisco State University, Distinguished Service Award from Marshall Journalism Alumni Association, Phil Vogel Memorial Award from the West Virginia Associated Press, Distinguished Broadcaster Award from West Virginia Broadcasters Association, the Silver Circle Award from National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, and the West Virginia Associated Press Lifetime Achievement Award. Johnson was among the inaugural class of the West Virginia Broadcasting Hall of Fame. The C. Bosworth "Bos" Johnson Memorial Scholarship in the School of Journalism and Mass Communications was established in his name.