Study and perform in Marshall University’s fully accredited School of Music
Pursue a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Music degree with concentrations in performance, composition, jazz studies or theory, as you prepare for career entry or graduate study. Specialize in education, history/literature, performance, jazz studies, or theory/composition with our Master of Arts in Music degree. Interested in a Music minor? We offer an organized study program for students seeking degrees in other disciplines. Directed through Marshall’s College of Education and Professional Development, the Bachelor of Arts in Music Education and the Master of Arts in Teaching lead to certification as a comprehensive music teacher in grades PreK-Adult.
To be considered for admission into a School of Music degree program, apply online and schedule an audition. The School of Music at Marshall University is a fully accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music.
Marshall University School of Music highlights
- Housed in Smith Music Building and Jomie Jazz Center, our facilities feature the newly renovated Smith Recital Hall and classrooms, a 24–track recording facility, music technology lab, music library, faculty offices and practice rooms.
- Our more than 40 faculty and staff have achieved regional, national and international recognition for not only their artistry, but also for their commitment to the success of each of our students.
- Performance opportunities include a variety of large and small ensembles in choral, instrumental and jazz areas and are open to the entire Marshall community. Some require an audition for entrance.
- Many Marshall University students have access to a generous package of financial assistance including tuition waivers, scholarships, work study and/or student assistant employment positions. These awards are based on general scholastic standing, financial need and the results of a competitive audition. Auditions are heard on scheduled dates throughout the year, arranged through mutual convenience, or through a recording.
- ‘MUsic Mondays’ resume for spring semester Jan. 23
- Marshall to be home of Ellis Marsalis International Jazz Piano Competition, Festival
- Choral Union rehearsals underway; not too late to join for the semester
- In Memoriam: Larry W. Stickler
- Final fall Music Mondays to study Benjamin Britten’s ‘Ceremony of Carols’
- Four large ensembles to join for Marshall holiday concert Sunday
- MUsic Monday to explore social aspects of domestic music
- Violauta Duo to perform at Marshall before visit to Italy
- Voices from Marshall to perform at Pullman Series
- US Fleet Forces Ensemble to perform at Marshall