Dr. Shawn Schulenberg, Associate Professor and Director of Graduate Studies
Dr. Schulenberg received his Ph.D. in Political Science from the University of California, Riverside, in 2010, the same year coming to Marshall. He was the 2012 Junior Recipient of the Marshall University Distinguished Artists and Scholars Award (DASA).
He currently serves as Director of Graduate Studies of Political Science at Marshall University and Track Chair of the Politics and Sexualities Track in the Latin American Studies Association. In the past he has served as Chair of the LGBT Caucus of the American Political Science Association. Co-Chair of the Sexuality Studies Section in the Latin American Studies Association, Chair of the Politics and Sexuality Section of the Western Political Science Association, and Faculty-in-Residence in the First Year Residential Halls at Marshall University.
- Introduction to Sexuality Studies
- PSC 207 – Introduction to Comparative Politics
- PSC 409/509 – Western Democratic Politics
- PSC 411/511 – Latin American Politics
- PSC 412/512 – International Political Economy
- PSC 416/516 – Politics of Development
- PSC 444/544 – Dictatorship and Democracy
- PSC 480/580 – Politics of Gender and Sexuality
- PSC 480/580 – Civil-Military Relations
- PSC 480/580 – Politics of Economic Crises
- PSC 600 – Research Design
- PSC 614 – Comparative Politics Seminar
Dr. Schulenberg’s research agenda looks at issues related to sexuality and LGBT politics in Latin America, with a focus on the counties of Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Panama. He has published in the Journal of Human Rights (2012) and New Political Science (2013) as well as served as a co-editor and contributor to Same-Sex Marriage in the Americas (2010, Lexington Books) and Same-Sex Partnership Recognition in Latin America (2013, Lexington Books). Finally, he also contributed a section on “Homosexuality and Transgenderism” for the textbook Politics of Latin America: The Power Game (2014, 5th edition, Oxford University Press).
Dr. Schulenberg has presented his research at meetings of the Latin American Studies Association, American Political Science Association, the Midwest Political Science Association, Western Political Science Association, as well as other regional conferences. Moreover, he has given invited presentations of his research at the University of Houston, St. John’s University (MN), and the Equality Forum in Philadelphia. In the past, he has served as a blind referee for the academic journals Political Science Quarterly, Politics & Policy, Social Policy, Journal of Human Rights, and New Political Science.
- Jason Pierceson, Adriana Crocker, and Shawn Schulenberg, eds. 2013. Same-Sex Relationship Recognition in Latin America: Promise and Resistance. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books.
- Shawn Schulenberg. Chapter 2: “The Lavender Tide? LGBT Rights and the Latin American Left Today”
- Shawn Schulenberg. Chapter 5: “Same-Sex Partnership Rights in Central America: The Case of Panama”
- Shawn Schulenberg. 2013. “Essentially Contested Subjects: Some Ontological and Epistemological Considerations When Studying Homosexuals and Terrorists,” New Political Science 35(3): 449-62.
- Shawn Schulenberg. 2012. “The Construction and Enactment of Same-Sex Marriage in Argentina,” Journal of Human Rights 11(1): 106-25.
- Jason Pierceson, Adriana Crocker, and Shawn Schulenberg, eds. 2010. Same-Sex Marriage in the Americas. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books.
- Shawn Schulenberg. “Policy Stability without Policy: The Battle over Same-Sex Partnership Recognition in Brazil.”