Types of Aid

Loan Programs
Student Employment
Medical School Aid
Veteran Educational Benefits

Marshall University offers a variety of merit-based scholarships to students who demonstrate outstanding academic achievement.

Most merit-based scholarship programs require that you be enrolled full time, maintain a minimum GPA, and complete 30 credit hours each academic year. Most scholarships are renewable, but some are not. Be sure to read Important Information About Scholarships for deadlines and additional detail on the terms and conditions of scholarships.

To learn about various scholarship opportunities at Marshall University, click on the applicable links below:

To download a copy of Marshall University Merit-based Scholarship policy (for the prior academic year), click on the link below.

2015-16 Marshall University Merit-based Scholarship Program Policies

2014-15 Marshall University Merit-based Scholarship Program Policies

The following financial aid programs are available to students who demonstrate financial need and in some cases meet other criteria.

  • Federal Pell Grant (up to $5,815) – awarded to undergraduates who have not earned a bachelor’s degree and who have exceptional financial need. Undergraduates taking 3 or more credits may receive Federal Pell Grant. Beginning July 1, 2012, the maximum life-time number of semesters or equivalent the student may receive Federal Pell Grant is 12 semesters.
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) – awarded to Federal Pell Grant eligible undergraduates pursing their first bachelor’s degree. Federal SEOG is available to undergraduates who take 3 or more credits. Students with exceptional financial need, equated with a zero Expected Family Contribution (EFC) as indicated on the student’s Student Aid Report (SAR) are considered first.  Because Federal SEOG funding is limited, priority is given to applicants meeting the March 1 FAFSA filing deadline.
  • WV Higher Education Grant (up to $2,600 per academic year) – Recipients must be U.S. citizens, WV residents (student and parents) for 12 months immediately prior to April 15 preceding the academic year of enrollment. Students receiving WV Higher Education Grant must demonstrate financial need, enroll full time and maintain a minimum 2.0 grade point average (GPA). In addition, students must earn a minimum of 24 credit hours to renew the grant. The maximum number of semesters or equivalent the student may receive WV Higher Education Grant is 8 semesters (or 4 years). Students must file the FAFSA by April 15 prior to the academic year the student plans to enroll.
  • WV Higher Education Adult Part-Time Student (HEAPS) Grant ($650 – $1950 per academic year) – awarded to part-time WV residents (resident for a minimum of 12 months) who demonstrate financial need and maintain a 2.0 grade point average. Funding for this program is limited; therefore, all part-time WV students who qualify will be considered to the extent of funding availability.
  • Achievement Tuition Waiver Grant for Metro Students with Financial Need
  • Achievement Tuition Waiver Grant – Tier 1 for Non-resident Students with Financial Need
  • Achievement Tuition Waiver Grant – Tier 2 for Non-resident Students with Financial Need

Loan Programs

Many students must rely on educational loans to cover at least some portion of their educational costs. Educational loans are available to undergraduate and graduate students as well as parents of undergraduate students.

When you file the FAFSA, the Office of Student Financial Assistance automatically considers your eligibility for the Federal Direct Loan. For other loan programs, however, you will have to take additional steps or meet certain criteria for consideration.

Student loan borrowing is in investment in your future. When deciding to borrow, it is very important that you obtain the best possible loans available to you in terms of interest rates and repayment options. The Office of Student Financial Assistance will always offer you the best educational loans available and your maximum student loan eligibility. When taking out a student loan, you should only borrow an amount that you absolutely need to keep your loan indebtedness as low as possible. Remember that you have to repay these funds at a later time and will want to have a modest loan repayment amount when that time comes.

Below is information on various loan programs available to Marshall University students:

Part Time Employment Including Federal Work Study (FWS)

On Campus Opportunities: At any given time, about 725 undergraduates and 600 graduate students are employed on campus. While many on campus jobs are posted thru Marshall JobTrax, you may choose to directly contact some of the    on-campus employers shown below:

Near Campus Opportunities: Students are often able to find work in the surrounding communities. To assist you with your part-time job search, we suggest you create and maintain your resume and profile with Marshall JobTrax. Please contact Career Services at 304.696.2370 for assistance.

Shown below are other links that may assist you with your part-time job search:

Federal Work Study:

Federal Work Study (FWS) is a program that provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students demonstrating financial need. While most Federal Work Study positions are located on campus, there are numerous opportunities for students to work off campus performing community service work at nearby non-profit agencies. Click here for a list of community partners that have agreed to employ FWS eligible students.

The amount of your FWS offer as indicated in your Financial Aid Package is the maximum you are allowed to earn over the course of the academic year. You will be paid directly for FWS earnings every two weeks. FWS awards are not credited to your student account.

FWS earnings are excluded from income on your subsequent year’s Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), so they don’t affect your eligibility for financial aid in the future.

Because of limited funding under the FWS Program, the Office of Student Financial Assistance is only able to place about 275 students into FWS part-time jobs each year.

As funding limits permit, FWS awards are offered as part of the annual financial aid package created prior to the start of each academic year. A FWS Wait-list is maintained in the event that students initially selected for FWS decline their awards and funding is made available to award additional FWS eligible students. To be put on the FWS Wait-list, you must download and complete the FWS Wait-list form.

Part-time Employment “To Do List”:

Before you can be sent for a FWS job interview or begin other jobs on campus, you MUST:

  1. Have the Homeland Security Form I-9 on file at Marshall University’s Human Resources Office, Room 207, Old Main. A sample of the form that you will complete along with a list of acceptable documents may be viewed at: www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdfPlease note that you must complete the I-9 in person, not thru the mail or by fax.

In order to customize your payroll deductions and to arrange for direct deposit of your earnings, you need to:

  1. Complete IRS W-4 Form located at http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf, and submit it to the Payroll Office, Room 203, Old Main.  Without this form on file your federal and state exemptions will default to single and zero.
  2. Complete a Marshall University Direct Deposit Form located at http://www.wvsao.gov/electronicpayments/files/Payroll_Direct_Deposit_Form_Start_Change_Cancel.pdf, and submit it the Payroll Office, Room 203, Old Main.

If you are hoping to work on campus, we encourage you to complete these tasks any time you are on campus including Green and White Days, New Student Orientation and Week of Welcome.


The Marshall University School of Medicine Office of Student Assistance strives to meet your financial needs by providing funds through federal, state, and institutional programs. In addition, the office offers comprehensive financial aid counseling and debt management services.

For more information on medical school financial assistance, visit the Marshall University School of Medicine Office of Student Financial Assistance website at http://jcesom.marshall.edu/students/financial-assistance/.

For efficient handling of MUSOM students’ financial aid records, inquiries, and other financial aid related questions, please contact:

Ms. Cynthia (Cindy) Canterberry
Assistance Director of Student Financial Assistance
Office of Student Affairs
Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine
Byrd Clinical Center
1249 15th Street
Suite 1018
Huntington, WV 25701
304.691.8739 (phone)
304.691.8740 (fax)


Veteran Educational Benefits

For efficient handling of student’s VA records, inquiries and other VA related questions including VA Educational Benefits, please contact VA Coordinator,

Lora Varney in the Registrar Office at 304-696-2254.