Frequently Asked Questions

Find answers to frequently asked questions about the Marshall University Recreation Center.

Rates & Eligibility
Employment Opportunities


Where can I get a parking pass at the Rec?
Parking passes can be purchased at the Recreation Center ProShop. Eligible members can fill out an application to purchase a pass at the ProShop, and the pass is valid for one (1) calendar year beginning on July 1 and ending on June 30. Parking passes are not prorated.

General Information

Where do I enter the building?
The entrance of the Rec Center faces the turf field and First Year Residence Halls.

What are the hours of operation?
Break and specific area hours of operation be found on the Hours Of Operation page.

How can I find out if the Rec is still operating during inclement weather?
If inclement weather exists, we will remain open regular hours unless announced otherwise. Certain areas of the facility may close due to safety precautions. The quickest way to find out about closures and other messages is by following the Rec Center on social media. Follow us on Facebook at or on Twitter @MURecreation.

Can I purchase a guest pass for a friend or family member?
Yes, members can sponsor a guest by purchasing a guest pass for $10 at the ProShop. Students can purchase a guest pass for $10. Guest passes for children under the age of 16 are $6.

How many laps around the track equal a mile?
The Recreation Center track is 1/7 of a mile long, patrons must circle the track 7 times to reach 1 mile.

Why can I only bring water into the facility?
In an effort to keep the facility as clean as possible, only water is allowed in the facility. Food and drinks are permitted in the lobby only.

How do I get to the pool from the front desk?
The pool can be accessed through the locker rooms past the showers. It can also be accessed through the hallway that leads from the base of the stairs by the elevator on the first floor through to the Family/Gender Neutral Changing rooms. We recommend that patrons with small children use the family changing rooms.

Does the rec provide locker and/or towel services?
Patrons are able to rent lockers for their personal use. They are available to rent on a semester/yearly basis. Large shower towels are available to anyone who currently has locker service. Please see the Welcome Desk to rent a locker.

What equipment is free to rent?
Patrons are eligible to rent equipment at the equipment checkout desk located at the Welcome Desk. The following items are available: basketballs, racquetball rackets, tennis rackets, volleyballs, indoor and outdoor soccer balls, foosballs, badminton rackets, footballs and table tennis paddles.


When can the vortex be utilized?
Monday through Friday after 4pm, Saturday starting at noon, and Sunday starting at 1pm.

How do I sign up for swim lessons?
Patrons may register for Group Swim Lessons online, or by visiting the Recreation Center ProShop. Private lessons are also available, please visit the Recreation Center ProShop to get started.

Outdoor Pursuits

Belay Certifications are available and enables patrons to climb without paying the try climb fee. Register for Belay Certifications online or learn more about costs on our Climbing & Bouldering Wall page.

Competitive Sports


What are Premium fitness classes?
Premium fitness classes are available for members and non-members for a fee. These classes are progressive, require specialized equipment, and instructor certifications. Members receive Premium Classes at a discounted member rate. View a listing of our Premium Fitness classes and a printable schedule online.

My question isn’t listed