The University College Tutoring Center provides a valuable service to the student population of Marshall University, and we are pleased to offer it. We provide a safe, comfortable environment for students.
Request a Tutor
Stop by University College in Smith Communications Building (Room 211) or submit a Request a Tutor form. If you have not heard from the office staff within one week of submitting your application, please call 304-696-6622 or email email@example.com.
Students interested in our Tutoring Services should also refer to our Student Expectations section.
Spring 2018 schedules coming soon.
Peer tutors are Marshall University students who have demonstrated expertise in the subject area(s) they tutor and have obtained recommendations from appropriate faculty members. Tutors are available for individual or recurring appointments. Schedules for each available tutor is posted above by subject area. Schedules are also available in Tutoring Services in Smith Communications Building (Room 211) or by visiting SSC Campus.
Students should come to the Tutoring Center prepared to become active, independent learners. The following tips will help you, the student, reach your goal of academic success:
- Bring all applicable class materials (textbooks, notes, handouts, calculators, etc.)
- Know your student number (901-XX-XXXX).
- Turn off your cell phone before your tutoring session begins.
- Plan ahead—the tutor will be able to assist you more appropriately if you do not wait until the day of or day before the test or deadline.
- Come to your tutoring session prepared to work on something specific.
- Ask for help. Don’t be shy; tutors are here to assist you.
- Be sure to eat before you come to the Tutoring Center.
- Get adequate sleep the night before.
- Think positively!
- Make sure you’ve made an attempt to complete your work yourself, and that you have at least a basic understanding of what you need help with. The tutor’s job is to prepare you to do your work independently, not to do your work for you.
- Consider making an appointment – even though drop-in tutoring is available without an appointment being necessary, it may help to meet with the tutor in advance and plan your session(s).