Office of Disability Services

The Office of Disability Services is open for business and will be seeing students by appoinment only. Appointments are required to reduce the number of students in the office at once and to allow for social distancing. If you need assistance please contact one of the office staff below:

Office of Disability Services

Stephanie Ballou, Director

Julie Dial, Coordinator


The Office of Disability Services provides the educational and physical accessibility support necessary for students to achieve their academic goals and promotes as much independence as possible on the part of the students with disabilities. We aim to make all programs, services, and activities fully accessible to students with disabilities, and our staff works directly with students to personalize types and levels of services needed for a successful college career.

Disability Services Available

All full-time and part-time students with proper documentation can receive our services. All new students are expected to meet with our staff prior to enrollment at Marshall. In this pre-enrollment assessment, students and staff will discuss accommodations and needs, review study skills and determine qualifying services, including:

  • Notetaking
  • Test proctoring and accommodations
  • Alternative format textbooks
  • Liaison with faculty
  • Advising
  • Early registratiion

Learn more about all of the services offered.

Reasonable Accommodations

According to the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990, universities are required to make reasonable modifications and to provide aids and services for persons with disabilities. This can include adjusting exams, supplying readers and more, including:

  • Extended test time
  • Preferential seating
  • Table and chair seating rather than desk
  • Notetakers
  • Interpreters
  • Readers for test questions
  • Scribes for tests
  • Course substitution
  • Separate, quiet room
  • Tape recorded classes
  • Early registration following the first semester

The university does not recognize Facilitated Communication as a reasonable accommodation.

To receive an academic accommodation, students should provide documentation to any or all of the following programs: the Office of Disability Services, College Program for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders, Higher Education for Learning Problems (HELP) Center and/or Buck Harless Student-Athlete Program Office. Following this contact, Disability Services will notify professors of recommendations. Although professors may choose to provide accommodations, consulting any of the above offices is advised.