Student Complaints

Do not use this complaint process for any of the following issues:

  1. Grade Appeals
  2. Parking Violations
  3. ADA-Related Discrimination
  4. Other issues where separate policies and procedures for resolution are already in place.

Using this form to resolve any of the issues above may delay resolution and could result in missing deadlines.

Informal Resolution

For all other complaints, students are encouraged to seek an informal resolution at the department level whenever possible. The Assistant Dean of Students for Advocacy & Support can assist with the informal resolution.

File a Complaint

If the student does not want to or if attempts at an informal resolution have been exhausted, the student may submit a formal written complaint through the online General Complaint Form through the Advocate System here:

Submit a Report

Upon receipt of a written student complaint, the Assistant Dean of Students for Advocacy & Support will contact the student via email to confirm receipt of the complaint within five (5) instructional days of submission of the complaint.

Additional information is available in the Administrative Procedure Admin-12 available at

Instructions and requirements for submitting a complaint to the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission are available at

Instructions and requirements for submitting a complaint to the Higher Learning Commission (Marshall University’s regional accreditor) are available at

Additional Instructions for Distance Students

NC-SARA is the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. SARA is an agreement among member states, districts and territories that establishes comparable national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary distance education. Marshall University is an approved member institution of NC-SARA, and the WV Higher Education Policy Commission is the SARA Portal Entity for West Virginia.

Distance students should first attempt to resolve their complaint using the procedures described above. Please indicate in the complaint description if you are a Distance Student and your Locations or if you are Distance Learning Non-WV Professional Licensure.

If those students are unable to resolve their complaint after using the Marshall complaint procedures described above, they may submit a complaint to WV HEPC at

For more information, visit NC-SARA at or the WV HEPC SARA site at

Note: If you are residing in California or the Northern Mariana Islands while attending Marshall University as a distance student, you are not in a member state of NC-SARA. You may file a complaint in the state where you are residing. As required by federal regulations, you need to reach out to these organizations based upon your area: