Information on Paying by Credit Card
In recent years, many universities across the country have found it more and more cost prohibitive to accept credit cards for student account payments. In some cases, the situation has become so extreme that institutions no longer offer the option of credit card payment. Marshall University finds itself in a similar position, given that budget challenges continue to impact operations across all West Virginia state agencies. At present, the university incurs a fee for each credit card payment receipted, and, unfortunately, can no longer afford to absorb that cost. In order to continue to offer students the option of payment by credit card, Marshall University must pass the cost along to those who use the service.
- A non-refundable 2.5% processing fee, per transaction, will be required to make payment by credit/debit card. The processing fee will be combined with your authorized payment amount and will appear on your credit/debit card statement as a “WV Treasury” transaction. Marshall University receives no part of the processing fee. This applies only to payments made through the Offices of the Bursar, Registrar and Admissions. MU Bookstore, Athletics, Theatre, Cafeterias, and Artists Series are not affected.
- All major credit cards are accepted as a payment method including American Express, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa.
These payment methods are still available at no additional fee:
- Electronic Check – online and by telephone
- Personal Check – by mail or in person
- Cashier’s Check – by mail or in person
- Money Order – by mail or in person
- Cash – in person
Marshall University works diligently to minimize costs while maintaining high quality academic programs and services, and changing the way credit card payments are accepted will further that mission.