Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), when a student turn 18 years of age or attends a post-secondary institution, the student, and not the parent, may access, seek to amend, and consent to disclosures of his or her education records. Students who wish to authorize access to their financial confidential student record information may use the Third Party Access feature available in CashTrack.
Below is a list of tips for making the payment and refund process as smooth as possible:
- Sign up as a 3rd party user. If you are going to be paying the bill instead of the student, have the student set you up as an authorized payer. This is the best way to make payment online and ensure that you will have access to the student’s bill.
- Pay your bills on time to avoid possible administrative withdrawal for nonpayment of fees.
- Have your student read all e-mails and other information from our office. These e-mails will be sent directly to the student at their official Marshall University e-mail address as e-mail is the official means of communication for the entire University.
- Always have your student review due dates to avoid administrative withdrawal for nonpayment of fees.
- Always have your student review the Reduction (Refund) Schedule for the semester before withdrawing from the University. Financial aid recipients may have their financial aid adjusted and may owe for refunds issued based on the original amount of aid disbursed.
- Have your student sign up for Direct Deposit to receive refunds faster. Students typically receive their credit balance electronically 1-2 weeks before receiving a paper check in the mail.