Taking Action

How do you Report Title IX Harassment and/or Discrimination?

If you are a mandatory reporter and someone informs you of an offense that falls under Title IX, report it immediately by taking these steps:

  1. Ensure your safety and the safety of the reporter/victim. In an emergency or situation of imminent danger, call 911 immediately or the Marshall University Police Department at 304-696-HELP.
  2. Inform the victim that you are required to report the incident, even if the victim chooses not to press charges or file a report with law enforcement. Although every effort will be taken to ensure privacy, a mandatory reporter cannot guarantee complete confidentiality.
  3. Listen to the victim.
  4. Report the incident.
  5. Provide assistance: Inform the victim of his/her option to also self-report the incident to campus police and local police for investigation or to decline to report the incident to law enforcement. Filing a report with police does not require the victim to press charges.
  6. Refer the victim to relevant resources for additional support if needed.

How do you Report Child Abuse and Neglect?

If you suspect or witness child sexual abuse on campus, you must report it to the police and/or the local child protective services:

  • For emergency situations, call 911
  • For non-emergency situations, call

Quick Links