Health and Safety

In preparation for your overseas program, it is important to be aware of the risks involved. To better inform yourself you should check out these helpful resources on health and safety abroad.

All students going abroad are required to have health insurance with international coverage. In some cases your program will provide you with health insurance. Be sure to check with your program and your current insurance provider to ensure you are covered while abroad. If you are looking for insurance coverage while abroad we would recommend CMI at

We also recommend that students get an International Student ID Card, also known as an ISIC card. Students can obtain the cards online at or drop by Old Main 320 to obtain the card prior to departing. You can also download an application here. This card gives students discounts all around the world; for a complete list of discounts check the website.

The procedure for obtaining the card at the office is as follows:

  • Complete the application form
  • Submit application, $22 fee, and one passport sized photo to Kylie Gallagher in OM 320
  • $22 fee can be paid by exact cash or a check made out to: Marshall University Foundation

Health and Safety Resources for Study Abroad