Finances and Scholarships

You have decided to go abroad, that’s fantastic! As you begin to plan for this life changing experience you may be concerned about funding your program. We are here to assist you in finding the necessary resources to fund your overseas program. You should first check with the Marshall Financial Aid Office and start thinking about your personal budget.

Scholarships will also be very useful in assisting you with your funding. You should first check with your specific program to see if there are any scholarships offered by them. You may also want to check with the Study Abroad Office to see if you are eligible for any of their in-office scholarships. You may be interested in the following scholarships listed below. Be sure to begin the application process well in advanced and check all websites for deadlines. It is common for application materials to be due 6 months or more ahead of your program start date.

Marshall University Scholarships:

Application deadlines:
– Summer and Fall:  March 15
– Spring:  October 15

Application should be made in the academic term prior to the start date of the study abroad program.

Other Scholarships:

  • Ambassador Program – A two-month summer intensive Chinese language and culture program that takes place in Taiwan. This program is designed especially for students who will be representing their state as well as the United States, acting as ambassadors to Taiwan. Upon returning to the United States, students will be expected to act as ambassadors of good will for both the United States and Taiwan.
  • Bridging Scholarships for Study in Japan – Awards 100 scholarships annually to assist students with the travel and living expenses they will incur while studying abroad in Japan.
  • Critical Language Scholarships for Intensive Summer Institutes – A 7-11 week program designed to increase the number of Americans who are able to speak “critical foreign languages.” All costs (except passport fees) are paid.
  • Freeman-ASIA – Freeman Awards for Study in Asia (Freeman-ASIA) provides scholarships for U.S. undergraduate students with demonstrated financial need to study abroad in East or Southeast Asia.
  • Fulbright – Program offers opportunities for recent graduates, postgraduate candidates, and developing professionals and artists to conduct career-launching study and research abroad.
  • German Academic Exchange Service – Supports study abroad in Germany and at German universities.
  • Gilman Scholarship – Provides awards of up to $5,000 for U.S. undergraduate students to study abroad of up to one academic year. To be eligible students must be receiving a Federal Pell Grant at the time of application.
  • Golden Key International Honor Society – Members of this organization are eligible to apply for a $2000 study abroad scholarship. Deadlines for the scholarships, which are presented twice each year, are October 15 and April 15. For more information about this scholarship please feel free to contact Dr. George Davis at
  • National Security Education Program (NSEP) David L. Boren Undergraduate Scholarships – Provide support to U.S. undergraduates who will pursue the study of languages and cultures currently underrepresented in study abroad and critical to U.S. national security.
  • Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants – designed to help support undergraduates as they seek knowledge and experience in their academic fields by studying abroad. Fifty $1,000 grants are awarded each year.
  • The American-Scandinavian Foundation (ASF) – Fellowships/grants available for study in Scandinavia.
  • Vista Wide World Languages & Cultures – Scholarships and grants available for study abroad.


For more scholarships go to and click on their Scholarships tab. You should be able to search from a variety of different options. For assistance with seeking scholarship funding, please contact the Marshall University Office of National Scholarships, located in Old Main 230E.

Student loans may be the only option for added financial assistance. If this is the case, there are many lenders available. You may first want to check with your current bank to see what they can offer you. Majority of the time you will need to take out a regular student or parent loan. Student loans only allow you to borrow the cost of tuition less awards so you need to check with financial aid exactly how much that will actually give you. If you take out personal loans, there is also a cap on the amount but it should be high enough to incorporate all of your expenditures.

If you need to contact other lenders use the following websites for reference or you can do research to find others. Be sure to compare the interest rates of a couple of vendors before making a decision to ensure you received the best interest rate.

Loan to Learn Study Abroad Loan
Sallie Mae Loans
Study Abroad Loans

Contact Us

Telephone: 304-696-6229


Office of International Student Services

Old Main 321

1 John Marshall Drive

Huntington, WV 25755