Emergencies Abroad

What to do if I become injured or ill while abroad?

  • Contact your home or host coordinator immediately. The MU Office of Study Abroad phone is 304-696-2292 during regular office hours 8:00a.m. – 4:00p.m. EST Monday-Friday. If you are unable to reach any of these contacts and your situation requires immediate medical attention, go to the nearest medical facility–do not wait.
  • In the event you can’t reach anyone after hours or on weekends, call the 24/7 Marshall University Police at +1-304-696-4357 and report your emergency. They will collect your information and contact the necessary university personnel.
  • Contact your family and/or appropriate peoples and create a reliable line of communication.

What if I do not know where to go?

For all examples below, make sure you have your insurance card with your ID# available.

  • If you are an ISEP student, contact the ISEP insurance on the back of your insurance card. It will offer 24/7 worldwide advising on where to seek medical assistance.
  • If you are on a Marshall sponsored program and have the Marshall United Health Care Insurance, contact Frontier MedEx 24/7 at +1-410-453-6330. Frontier MedEx will provide worldwide assistance in locating the nearest health provider and a variety of other health related topics.
  • If participating in a KIIS program (Kentucky Institute for International Studies), contact your Program Director or faculty member in charge. All KIIS students are covered under the KIIS medical policy.

What if my emergency is non-medical?

Non-medical emergencies are instances that do not involve injury, illness, or are in the need of urgent medical attention, but still need to be reported to your home/host university and or program leader and should be resolved immediately. In the event of a non-medical emergency contact the necessary people listed above. Some cases depending on the severity of the emergency may require you to contact local authorities or police, especially if you have been assaulted or robbed. In the event of a lost or stolen passport make sure you contact your home/host coordinator and report to the nearest U.S. consulate in your area to begin the process of getting a new one. If your credit card is lost or stolen, make sure you contact your bank as soon as possible to deactivate your service.


Emergency Phone Contact Information

MU Office of Study Abroad +1-304-696-2292 DURING OFFICE HOURS ONLY

MU Police +1-304-696-4357

Kentucky Institute for International Studies +1-270-745-4416 DURING OFFICE HOURS ONLY (Recommend contacting on-site Program Director for Emergencies)

ISEP Washington, DC Office +1-703-504-9960



Contact Us

Telephone: 304-696-6229


Office of International Student Services

Old Main 321

1 John Marshall Drive

Huntington, WV 25755