The following is a list of the general rules and regulations for the use of the Marshall Recreation Center. Violations of these policies may result in, but are not limited to, the following actions: removal from the building, suspension of membership privileges and/or referral to the Marshall University Department of Public Safety.
- GENERAL RULES
- Alcohol, non-prescription drugs, tobacco products, weapons or firearms are not permitted.
- Food and drinks are permitted only in the Lobby. Water in a spill proof unbreakable container is the only drink permitted in all other areas of the facility.
- Injuries, accidents or equipment failures must be immediately reported to Recreation Center staff.
- The Marshall Recreation Center is not responsible for lost or stolen items. Personal belongings are not permitted in activity areas and must be kept in a locker.
- Please consult a physician prior to engaging in physical activity. The Marshall Recreation Center is not responsible for accidents or injuries that occur due to the nature of the activity.
- Proper non-marking athletic shoes are required in all activity areas.
- Mature and respectful conduct is expected and required at all times.
- Profanity or racist/sexist language is not permitted.
- All patrons must comply with staff requests. Any patron who acts in a threatening, violent, or otherwise inappropriate manner may be asked to leave the facility. The Marshall Recreation Center staff has authority over facility conduct and use of equipment. Entry privileges may be revoked if a patron refuses to comply with any policy.
- Animals are not allowed in the facility except for the purpose of assisting or aiding persons with disabilities.
- A current, valid Marshall University student ID or Marshall Recreation Center key tag is required to enter the facility. Attempting to enter the facility using false identification will result in confiscation and/or suspension of membership privileges.
- The use of Marshall Recreation Center phones for personal use is prohibited.
- Use of the elevator is available to patrons with disabilities.
- REFUND POLICY
Memberships, programs and services are non-refundable and non-transferable. Cancellation of memberships within the initial 12 months requires a cancellation fee. This fee is the cost of the remaining months of membership. After the initial 12 months of membership, cancellation is possible at any time. 30 days’ notice is required for cancellation. Fees are non-refundable for memberships paid in full. Fees paid for programs and services are non-refundable.
- STUDENT REFUND POLICY
The Marshall Recreation Center fee is a mandatory, non-refundable, prorated fee, and will not be refunded.
- RETURN POLICY
- Returns will only be accepted on apparel items (excluding hats, gloves and socks). Returns must be made within 15 days of purchase.
- Returned apparel items must be in an unworn re-sellable condition and have the original item tag attached.
- Original receipt must be provided at the time of return.
- Purchases will be refunded via the payment method used to pay for items. If a transaction is paid by check, refunds will not be given within 7 days of the original transaction date.
Store credits and gift cards are not redeemable for cash, are non-transferrable, and cannot be replaced if lost or stolen.
- FOOD AND BEVERAGE POLICY
There is NO FOOD permitted past the lobby. All food must be consumed before entering the entrance gates or be disposed of. Water in spill resistant, unbreakable containers is permitted. No other types of beverage are permitted, including items purchased at the juice bar, and sport and muscular drink mixes. Patrons found violating this policy will be asked to either dispose of the food or beverage or be asked to go to the lobby.
- 3 STRIKE POLICY
If an active member 16 and older does not have their ID/key tag, a strike will be placed on their account. Each member is allowed 3 strikes per semester, and on the 4th, they must pay a guest fee to enter.
Information of the member will be verified such as address and phone number.
- ATTIRE/CLOTHING POLICY
*All of Marshall Recreation Center decisions regarding appropriate attire are final.*
Closed-toe and closed-heel, non-marking, rubber-soled, athletic-type shoes are required.
- High-heels, turf shoes, cleats, boots, sandals, etc. are not permitted.
- Participants are strongly encouraged to bring a second pair of clean footwear for their workouts. Dirty, muddy footwear is not permitted.
- Exception – Five-toed shoes are permitted with the following equipment and/or in the following areas: track, cardio, stretching, studios, turf, racquetball courts, climbing wall, and gym courts.
- Exception – Bare feet and/or stockings are acceptable for some group fitness classes and/or group reservations in the studios.
Upper body clothing should fully cover the torso.
- Cropped tanks, halter-tops, and sports bras (only) are not permitted.
- Cut-off t-shirts that expose skin below the men’s pec line, or women’s bra strap line, are not permitted.
Athletic-type apparel is required.
- Non-athletic type pants such as Jeans, khakis, etc. are not permitted on the fitness equipment.
- Shorts must be long enough to cover the buttocks and groin when exercising or moving.
- Shorts must be properly worn on the hips.
Campus Recreation strongly recommends that jewelry not be worn during participation. This includes, but is not limited to, necklaces, rings, bracelets, wristbands, watches, earrings/studs, piercings, etc.
- Clothing with visible blood must be removed and placed in a bio-hazard bag. The participant must have a replacement article of clothing to remain in the facility.
- Clothing with offensive or profane language, designs, or pictures is not permitted.
- PARKING PASSES
The suggested parking area is the Joan C. Edwards football stadium annex lot, located on 20th Street and Fifth Avenue, across from the Recreation Center. The lot is a permit lot and is patrolled by Marshall University on the weekdays between 7am and 7pm Monday thru Thursday and 7am to 4pm Friday. We do offer Parking Passes on behalf of the Marshall University Parking Office. The passes are available to non-student and non-faculty/staff members, as well as Medical School students who are in their second year of Med School and beyond. In order to obtain a Parking Pass, applicable patrons must fill out the Parking Application PDF. Parking Passes are $30, and run from July 1 to June 30 of the following year. Campus Recreation cannot prorate any pass.
- LOCKER ROOMS
Campus Recreation requests that the locker rooms be used for storing personal items, changing attire, and showering.
In the Recreation Center, lockers are available for rent on a semester or annual basis. For further locker rental details (cost, size, eligibility, etc.), see staff at Member Services.
Patrons will be issued a combination for all rental lockers.
All other lockers are designated as ‘day-use’ available at no cost during hours of operation. Belongings in these lockers must be cleared prior to closing. Personal items remaining in lockers/cubbies will be bagged and submitted as lost & found. Campus Recreation is not responsible for theft or damage to personal property left in lockers.
- LOST AND FOUND
Campus Recreation is not responsible for lost, stolen, damaged or unattended personal belongings.
Lost items turned into Campus Recreation Staff will be recorded and stored in lost and found for no more than 3 weeks. Lost and found items can be claimed during normal business hours and Photo identification is required to claim lost-and-found items. Lost University ID cards from the prior day will be turned over to University Police each morning.
The Recreation Center is a substance-free facility. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, steroids and tobacco products are not permitted in Recreation Center. Individuals shall not use the Recreation Center while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Smoking is not permitted outside the building as Marshall University is a smoke-free campus.
Spitting is not permitted in the common areas, such as hallways and stairwells, and activity areas such as the gymnasium courts, track, cardio, and weights and fitness areas. Spitting is not permitted in water fountains. Spitting is only permitted in cuspidors.
- ENTRANCE/EXIT GATES
The Marshall Recreation Center is a restricted access facility. All entrance and exit must be through the main lobby unless an emergency is present.
- EXCLUSIVE USE POLICY
The Marshall Recreation Center is available to be used by “active” members and approved guests for individual drop-in and open recreation use. Individuals and groups using, or giving the appearance of using, the recreation center for organized or structured activity are considered to be prohibiting open recreation use and therefore are deemed to be using the facility in an exclusive use capacity. Additionally, any individual or group using training aids that occupy facility space (i.e. cones, ladders, ropes, etc.) is considered to be using that space in an exclusive use capacity. Exclusive use is only permitted with the advanced rental or reservation of facility space for an additional fee and is not included in any membership or day pass fees. All space reservations must be processed through facility scheduling at least 48 hours in advance.
Examples of prohibited activity include, but are not limited to:
- Organized practices or workouts
- Personal training
- Private instruction
- Services for which compensation is rendered
All equipment and facility space of the Marshall Recreation Center may only be used for it’s intended activity and may not be modified in any way by a unless campus recreation staff is conducting a supervised programming activity. Additionally, any equipment or facility use deemed by Campus Recreation Staff to be unsafe for the patron, the equipment, or the facility is strictly prohibited.
All tours must be accompanied by a tour guide. A tour guide could be someone with the University giving a campus tour to an individual or a group. Anybody else that comes without a tour guide must be accompanied by a guide from the Rec Center.
- RACQUETBALL/TENNIS COURT AND VOLLEYBALL RESERVATIONS
Court reservations are available at all times the facility is open. They may be made up to a day in advance. A reservation can be either 30 or 60 minutes, but not any longer. The reservation can also be made up to an hour in advance, example; a 6pm reservation can be made up to 5pm, but after that 6pm reservations cannot be made. One reservation per day, per person. The reservation expires ten minutes past the schedule reservation start time. Once the ten minutes has passed the court is free use. Only active members can make reservations.
- TOWEL/LOCKER SERVICE
Lockers are available to rent for a semester/yearly basis. Large, shower towels are available to anyone who currently has locker service. Small, fitness towels are available to use inside the facility for no charge.
Semester (4 months)- $50
$120, you may pay in full or put a credit/debit card on file and we will draft $10 a month.
- INCLEMENT WEATHER
If inclement weather exists we will remain open regular hours unless announced otherwise. In the event that Marshall University cancels classes or closes the university, the recreation center will remain open for general use but all programs and services will be canceled. This includes but is not limited to fitness classes, babysitting, camps, swim lessons, PEL courses, Intramural sports. Patrons who have booked rentals, birthday parties, personal training, and other personally scheduled services will contacted individually to determine if rescheduling is required.
- RELEASE OF INFORMATION
Campus Recreation staff will not give out personal information of members, guests, professionals, supervisors, and/or student workers.
- ECO CYCLE BIKE LOAN PROGRAM
The Eco Cycle Bike Loan program runs from March 1st to November 30th each year. Participants must have a Marshall University ID or Rec Center Key Tag. Checking out bikes is FREE, but you must put a Debt/Credit card on file. Visit the Marshall University Sustainability Department’s website to see all Eco cycle rules and policies.
- POOL VORTEX POLICY
The Vortex in the pool will only be turned on after 4pm daily Monday through Friday to allow for lap swim users.
- MEMBERSHIP FREEZE POLICY
Members may freeze their membership twice per year each up to 3 months (non-consecutive).
- 30 days notice is required.
- Member will NOT be allowed into the facility while account is frozen.