“Growing Marshall Green: Student Gardens & Market Day” http://youtu.be/mq6lgqtypmI
Our first Sustainability video is now up on Marshall’s Youtube page at http://www.youtube.com/user/HerdVideo.
We look to create a new Sustainability video each month! Our first video was filmed last month in the Student Vegetable Garden, at the Fresh Market, and in the MU Greenhouse, showcasing all the many plants that are grown there. Future Sustainability segments will include our EcoCycle program, the Recycling program, the Sustainability Gardens, Energy Efficiency, and more! We’d like to thank University Communications for all their help with our Public Relations efforts.
Mark your calendars for some great sustainability Coming Events!
- Every Wednesday this Summer! - MU-Grown Vegetable Market: 11AM-2PM @ the MU Memorial Student Center, sponsored by the MU Sustainability Department. Make a donation to the Student Garden project and get fresh vegetables that were grown right here on campus!
- August 7-8th - Parent Orientation: 3PM-4:30PM @ MU Foundation Hall. The MU Sustainability Department will be participating in Parent Orientations, so visit our table.
- August 21st & 23rd - WOW Week of Welcome:
* August 21st – 5PM-6PM Garden Green Tour @ the MU Memorial Student Center. Take a tour of the sustainability side of Marshall University, including our many gardens. Be Marshall Green!
* August 21st - 7PM-8PM MU Critical Mass Bike Ride @ the Rec Center. Bring your bike, or check out an Eco Cycle from the Rec Center, and take a bike tour of Huntington. You’ll get a cool Commuter Bike Map of the city, and get to know where all the cool places are, including Ritter Park, the Wild Ramp local farmers market, River and Rail Bakery & Coffee Shop, Pullman Square, Harris Riverfront Park, Downtown, Marshall Hall of Fame Cafe’, and more!
* August 23rd – 10AM-11AM Garden Green Tour @ the MU Memorial Student Center. Take a tour of the sustainability side of Marshall University, including our many gardens. Be Marshall Green!
* August 23rd – 12PM-3PM RecFest @ the Rec Center. The MU Sustainability Department will be participating in RecFest, so visit our table.
* August 23rd - 3PM-6PM Game Day Recycling @ the MU Football Stadium. Join us in keeping our campus Marshall Green by helping recycle during Game Day. Lend a hand, pick up some litter, and recycle. Be Marshall Green!
Make a donation to the Student Garden project and get fresh vegetables that were grown right here on campus!
What: Vegetable Market Days
When: Wednesdays 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Where: Memorial Student Center Plaza [inside on rainy days]
Sponsored by: The Sustainability Department
People are no longer permitted to pick from the gardens themselves, but are encouraged to check out the ripe vegetables at the market every Wednesday.
To checkout a bicycle, come to the Main Desk at the Recreation Center.
Membership is “Free” to all students, faculty, staff, and Recreation Center members.
All you need is:
- your student or staff ID
- a debit or credit card (to reserve the bike)
For more information go the the EcoCycle webpage!
REDUCE YOUR CARBON FOOTPRINT
Leaving your car at home twice a week can cut greenhouse gas emissions by 1,600 pounds per year. If you commute to work, ask if you can work from home at least some days, and you’ll reduce air pollution and traffic congestion – and save money. More information: More Information from the EPA
Be sensible! The Earth might seem like it has abundant water, but in fact only one percent of all water on the planet is available for humans. Buy fixtures and products that are water efficient – you can use less water to get the same job done just as well. When you go shopping, look for the WaterSense label to find water efficient products.
OASIS Bottle Fill Stations
OASIS Bottle Fill Stations are installed throughout campus buildings.
Each fountain provides clean “Green” filtered, refrigerated water.
To learn more about the bottle fill stations, please click OASIS.
“The Facts About Bottled Water”, click bottle.