Starting during WOW, Aug 19th-21st, students are encouraged to participate in our Green Trail SELFIE Scavenger Hunt. It is a great way to tour Marshall’s campus greening efforts, have fun, and win prizes.
- First, REGISTER at www.marshall.edu/sustainability/green-trail-selfie-scavenger-hunt.
- Next, follow our INSTRUCTIONS listed on that page.
- Finally, post your 22-pic photo collection on our Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/greentrailselfiescavengerhunt.
The first 20 scavengers to successfully follow the instructions and submit their selfie photo collections will win prizes, such as: t-shirts, reusable grocery totes, reusable cups, etc. They will also win high Green accolades from the Marshall University Sustainability Department and the Green Trail Project.
Guided Tour of the Green Trail – Aug 20th
Capri Billings, Sustainability Education Assistant, will take participants on a guided tour of Marshall University’s Green Trail. Enjoy the lush beauty of our gardens and learn about the many sustainable initiatives across campus.
Contact: Capri Billings, firstname.lastname@example.org, 304-690-5611.
- “Meatless Mondays” – join us in the “Meatless Mondays” challenge. Eating less meat reduces demand, greenhouse gas emissions, water pollution, and our carbon footprint, all from changing one simple meal choice. All dining halls offer meatless options, too, so it is super easy. Find us inside the Memorial Student center on AUGUST 17th.
- “Wednesday Market Days” – Come visit our booth @ the MU Student Center every Wednesday. You can share a donation and take home some great fresh produce from the MU Student Gardens.
- “Student Garden Volunteer Days” – Thursdays from 4-7PM @ the MU Student Gardens (Behind the Career Services Center). Come join us for a work day in the student gardens! Students, staff, and faculty are all welcome.
- AUGUST 11th – Tuesday, 11:00am: Education Outreach @ Woodlands. Our Education Assistant will be meeting with the activities director and CEO of Woodlands Retirement Community in Huntington to discuss plans of installing a butterfly garden on the premises for the residents to enjoy. Some of the residents participated in a tour of Marshall University’s green initiatives, including our Monarch Waystation and Butterfly Oasis gardens to aid in pollinator conservation efforts. After seeing our gardens they approached the activities director at Woodlands to express their desire to have a similar garden in their community.
- AUGUST 13th – Thursday, 9am-11am: RA Resource Fair @ Corbly Hall
- AUGUST 19th-21st – WOW
- 19th – 22nd – Green Trail SELFIE Scavenger Hunt: join the fun, win prizes, and scavenge some selfies with our Green Trail Scavenger Hunt. https://www.facebook.com/greentrailselfiescavengerhunt
- 20th – Green Trail Tour from 5pm-6pm. Join us at the at the Student Center Plaza by 5pm, and take a tour of Marshall University’s Green Trail. Learn about all the many green initiatives on campus. REGISTER today to take our tour.
- 21st – Garden to Table, Friday from 5-7pm @ Huntington’s Kitchen. Enjoy learning new ways to cook fresh produce, harvested from the MU Student Gardens. Recipes will be tasty and nutritious vegan dishes. REGISTRATION is limited to the first 12 applicants.
- 22nd – Rec Fest @ Rec Center, 12pm-3pm
The Sustainability Music Fest was a Success!
For more information about this project visit: www.HuntingtonSustainabilityFair.com.
In spite of the rain, we had over 300 visitors to Huntington’s first Sustainability Fair, and the word is out that people want more. Here are some photos from the fair, and you can see more at www.HuntingtonSustainabilityFair.com.
Our Earth Day event on Aprill 22nd at the MU Student Center was a success! A wild variety of workshops, presenters, and participants filled our event with green and sustainable learning opportunities. Visitors both young and old were entertained and engaged, had some great fun, and celebrated our green earth. Over 40 local organizations, groups and businesses were at our Earth Day event to share their commitment to our planet, and promote real action that will create a stronger, healthier, happier community. For more information, you can also email us at BeMarshallGreen@marshall.edu, or contact our event coordinator Capri Billings at email@example.com, (304)690-5611. www.marshall.edu/sustainability/earth-day-2015/
Green Roof Success!
The Green Roof installation at the new Engineering Complex went so well, it is hard to believe. We had over 90 volunteers show up to help out, and we finished early, before 3pm! Couldn’t ask for better than that.
The Marshall University Sustainability Department will be participating in a campus health fair titled “Live Happy Health Day” from 11am-1pm on Wednesday March 25th. The fair is presented by the MU Student Association of Nutrition and Dietetics (MU SANDS), and will encompass the many things that make up a healthy lifestyle.
Bike Loan program opens March 1st!
Reduce Your Carbon Footprint with Eco Cycles: Starting March 1st, students, faculty, and staff, or anyone with a Rec Center pass, will be able to check out an Ecocycle bike for FREE. READ MORE
Check out our second MU Sustainability Department video: Reduce Your Carbon Footprint by borrowing a bike for free through the Eco Cycle Bike Loan Program
Our Sustainability videos are on Marshall’s Youtube page at http://www.youtube.com/user/HerdVideo.
We look to create a new Sustainability video each month! Future Sustainability segments will include the Recycling program, the Sustainability Gardens, Energy Efficiency, and more! We’d like to thank University Communications for all their help with our Public Relations efforts.