Students should come to the Tutoring Center prepared to become active, independent learners. The following tips will help you, the student, reach your goal of academic success:
- Bring all applicable class materials (textbooks, notes, handouts, calculators, etc.)
- Know your student number (901-XX-XXXX).
- Remember to turn off your cell phone before your tutoring session starts so that your tutoring session is productive and successful.
- Plan ahead – the tutor will be able to assist you more appropriately if you do not wait until the day of or day before the test or deadline.
- Come to your tutoring session prepared to work on something specific.
- Be sure to eat before you come to the Tutoring Center! (So you will be able to focus on your tutoring session).
- Get adequate sleep the night before.
- Think positively!
- Ask for help. Don’t be shy; tutors are here to assist you.
- Make sure you’ve made an attempt to complete your work yourself, and that you have at least a basic understanding of what you need help with. The tutor’s job is to prepare you to do your work independently, not to do your work for you.
- Consider making an appointment – even though drop-in tutoring is available without an appointment being necessary, it may help to meet with the tutor in advance and plan your session(s).
Smith Communications Building Room 211
Site Maintained by University College. Copyright ©2009 Marshall University. All Rights Reserved.
Marshall University – One John Marshall Drive – Huntington, WV 25755