The University Motor Pool is a division of the Office of Public Safety at Marshall University. The University Motor Pool rents vehicles for official university business. We currently have 9 vehicles in the motor pool inventory. To reserve a vehicle you may email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 696-6684. The Motor Pool Fleet has Dodge Caravans and Chevrolet Impala 4-door sedans. Sedans are midsize and seat 4 to 5 people. They have automatic transmission, air conditioning, and AM/FM Radios. The minivans seat 6 to 7 people. They have automatic transmission, air conditioning and AM/FM radios. Vehicle reservations are made on a first come first serve basis. Include the destination, drivers’ name, date/time vehicle is needed and date/time of return. Billing is by inter-departmental transfer of funds. 15 passenger vans are not offered nor charter bus service. The Enterprise Rent-a-car is the contracted vehicle rental agency. Please check with your purchasing agent about the use of the Enterprise rentals. The University Motor Pool Rates are:
- $ .40 cents per mile for sedans
- $ .45 cents per mile for vans
NOTE: This includes fuel charges.
TO MAKE A RESERVATION
To reserve the motor pool vehicles departments must complete a Request for use of University Vehicle form and submit it to be processed. Upon receipt of the request the reservation will be made and a copy of the reservation as confirmation will be returned. If changes need to be made at any time the departments should contact the Parking and Transportation office at 304-696-6684 or 696-6648 immediately. If a vehicle is unavailable at the time of request the department will be referred to the state contract vehicle rental agency. Reservations may be cancelled up until the day before the pick-up date noted on the reservation at no cost to the customer. However, if a cancellation is not received a fee for non-cancellation will be charged. Cancellations may be made by calling 304-696-6684 or 696-6648 by email email@example.com. Vehicles should be returned with a half tank or more of gasoline, and in a condition requiring normal cleaning of a vehicle. If a vehicle is returned that requires significant cleaning or repair, the cost maybe charged to the renting department. As a reminder, the consumption or use of tobacco products, illegal drugs or alcohol is not permitted in University vehicles. Any violation of these rules will be reported to the department head and a service/clean-up charge will be billed and the suspension of use of state vehicles for that driver.
CHECK OUT/ RETURN OF VEHICLES
All motor pool vehicles are signed out/in with the Marshall University Office of Public Safety located on 5th avenue and 18th street. The Dispatcher’s Office is open 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week. After you have signed for the vehicle you will be given the keys along with gasoline charge cards. Please note that gasoline cards usually work at the pump but if you have a problem there is a number on the back of the card for the gasoline station attendant to call for authorization. The gasoline card that is available for use: Super America (Superfleet). Please use these gasoline stations for the fill-up of the University motor pool vehicles. Do not use premium gasoline in the motor pool vehicles. If you pay cash for the gasoline keep the receipt, fill out an employee reimbursement form and turn it into your department. If you wish to leave your personal vehicle in a motor pool space, pick up a form from the Dispatcher that states you are parking your vehicle in the motor pool while you are gone. Please return the motor pool vehicle to the Motor Pool parking space upon your return. After unloading your personal items and removal of trash, check that the dome light is off and the doors are locked. In each motor pool vehicle there are trip tickets please fill out the beginning and ending mileage and any comments about the vehicle. When returning from your trip, please leave the clipboards in the vehicle bring only the single trip ticket filled out and the keys to the assigned car and any gasoline receipts to the Dispatcher’s office.
MOTORISTS ASSISTANCE PROCEDURES
In the event of a vehicle breakdown, contact: The Marshall University Public Safety Dispatch as soon as possible at 304-696-4357. The Dispatch Office is open 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week. It is important that you provide the following information:
- Explain the problem and details, if known.
- Your exact location and a phone number where you may be reached.
- Can the vehicle be or not be repaired at or near your location.
- If yes, what is the estimated cost for repair.
The Dispatcher will notify the responsible individual. You will be directed to either have the vehicle repaired or be advised what arrangements are to be made to return you and the vehicle to Marshall University. In most events, you will be instructed to have the vehicle repaired at your location, and return as soon as the repair is finished. Remember that these vehicles are used by other individuals; please drive with care and caution, so that others are not inconvenienced. If a breakdown is due to negligent driving, the authorizing department may be responsible for the expenses incurred for the return of both you and the vehicle to the campus.
In the event of an accident: CONTACT: The Marshall University Public Safety Dispatch as soon as possible at 304-696-4357. The Dispatch Office is open 24 hours a day / 7 days a week. It is important that you provide the following information to Dispatch:
- Explain the problem and details, if known. Please state if there are injuries.
- Your exact location and a phone number where you can be reached.
- Has the vehicle been secured/towed/ be or not be repaired at or near your location.
- Are police reports being taken and by which agency.
- Do we need to contact the department and/or family members.
POLICY AND REGULATIONS
Regulations during operation:
- All drivers must be 18 years of age and possess a valid driver’s license and be employed by Marshall University.
- 2. Safety seat belts are to be worn at all times.
- The driver of the state vehicle shall be required to adhere to ALL WV Motor Vehicle laws.
- Posted speed limits are not to be violated.
- Any speeding and/or other reckless operation citations/fines received while operating a state vehicle is the driver’s responsibility.
- The transportation of beer and/or alcoholic beverages is strictly prohibited in the State Motor Pool vehicles, the use or possession of alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs and tobacco products is strictly prohibited in state vehicles.
- The operator’s department or division will be responsible for any and all repairs, towing charges, etc., as a result of negligent driving.
- Failure to operate a state owned vehicle in a safe manner will result in the suspension of use of state vehicles for that driver.
- The driver of a state vehicle assumes responsibility for all passengers. These drivers are to be faculty and staff of Marshall University. Only students employed as a GA or RA will be allowed to drive state vehicles.
- The University’s Insurance will not cover non-employees.
- Vehicles are to be driven on main, hard-surfaced roadways only. They are not to be driven onto rock pathways, in or across creek beds, dirt pathways, etc. When these conditions exist, the vehicle must be secured and left in a safe location at or near the main roadway.
- Travel plans should not require travel past the hour of 12 midnight. There must be a rest break for the driver every two hours.
- Please return the state vehicle within the allotted time you have requested. There will be a late charge of $5.00 per/hour starting one hour past your requested return time.