Welcome Class of 2024
Week of Welcome (WOW) is part of the First Year Experience at Marshall University. WOW serves as more than a class or program; it is an experience that is essential to the success of first-year students at Marshall. It is a collaborative, introductory effort to welcome, educate and socialize freshmen to the Marshall University campus, academic expectations, personnel, resources and traditions during the first few weeks of the fall semester.
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, all required WOW sessions will be offered virtually. Please click the “Sessions” tab above to view your options.
- Students should plan to participate in their first UNI 100 class session via Teams on Thursday, August 20, at 10 a.m. You will receive login instructions from your UNI 100 instructor.
- Students will be expected to participate in Freshman Convocation on Friday, August 21, at 5 p.m. This event will be live streamed. A link will be posted on the Sessions page.
- Students should select one session of each of these programs:
- Sex Signals
- Step-In, Speak Up!
- We Are Family: A Cultural Diversity Experience
We will also be offering optional virtual activities and some face to face social activities for both residence hall students and commuter students. Please click on the “Activities” tab above to view these programs. We are working with Housing and Residence Life to plan these events around student arrivals. All of these events will be following the West Virginia Governor’s recommendations and CDC guidelines. All students and event sponsors will be expected to wear face coverings and practice social distancing.
Through Week of Welcome and UNI 100 students will
- Understand what it means to be an accountable member of the Marshall Family
- Identify and understand important academic and campus resources, procedures and policies to create a successful Marshall experience
- Explore essential technology that will aid in student success
- Develop positive and influential relationships with university officials and peers
Marshall’s Week of Welcome is an opportunity for students to ease the transition into college and so much more! It’s a time to find out what it means to be a son or daughter of Marshall University and to get acquainted with campus before upperclassmen return. It’s a time to learn how to take advantage of the academic and support services provided, meet new friends and HAVE FUN!
UNI 100: Freshman First Class
WOW is an integral part of UNI 100 Freshman First Class. UNI 100 is a graded class that serves as an introduction to academic structures and expectations of college life. UNI 100 is literally the first class most freshmen will take at Marshall. Successful completion of the course earns one hour of elective credit. Attendance at the required WOW activities and weekly class sessions (the first eight weeks of the semester) will play a large role in the grade students earn.
Many campus offices offer extended hours for our students during Week of Welcome. We’ve also compiled a list of frequently used phone numbers and university websites to assist students in finding additional assistance as needed. Our interactive map of the Huntington campus is available to help students locate campus buildings, parking and more.
See you at WOW!
Questions? Contact us by calling 304-696-3169 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need IT help? Check out our new IT Student Guide!