Finding home at Marshall University

Sophie Lemons’ transfer journey led her exactly where she was meant to be
Share
Sophie Lemons, senior psychology student at Marshall University

As the sun casts its golden rays over Marshall University’s campus, Sophie Lemons, a graduating senior studying psychology, reflects on her transformative journey from isolation to community, culminating in her upcoming graduation on April 27, 2024.

Lemons’ story began with a bold decision to transfer to Marshall University after spending her freshman year at another institution. Hailing from Hurricane, West Virginia, she sought a fresh start closer to home, seeking solace from the aftermath of the pandemic that had cast a shadow over her first year of college.

” I felt an instant sense of relief once I came to Marshall.” - Sophie Lemons

“I felt an instant sense of relief once I came to Marshall,” Lemons said. “There was no adjustment period, only embracing and welcoming the culture on campus.”

Her transfer experience, though initially daunting, was marked by the warmth and support of the Marshall community. “The transfer experience was stressful… but I felt Marshall did their best to accommodate me throughout the process,” she said.

From worries about credit transfers to finding her footing in a new environment, Lemons found solace in the rallying support of her peers and mentors.

Sophie Lemons, Marshall University Class of 2024

Unlike her freshman year, characterized by isolation, Lemons found Marshall to be an environment of warmth and camaraderie. “Having in-person classes again was incredible. Since then, I have been able to become involved in campus activities and build a sense of community,” Lemons explained.

As she pursued her studies in psychology, Lemons found her passion ignited by the close-knit community and diverse opportunities Marshall offered.

“My favorite part about being a student at Marshall is the opportunities it has brought me to be connected to staff, students and the Huntington community,” she said. “I am excited to continue my journey through Marshall’s graduate program in school psychology this fall.”

” My favorite part about being a student at Marshall is the opportunities it has brought me to be connected to staff, students and the Huntington community.” - Sophie Lemons

Her dreams of becoming a licensed school psychologist in West Virginia are fueled by the mentorship and guidance she received from her professors.

Reflecting on her college experience amidst the backdrop of a global pandemic, Lemons’ resilience shines through. “Being in college during a global pandemic showed me a level of resilience that I didn’t know I had,” she said. “The social and academic transitions were unexpected and frightening.”

Yet, as she stands on the brink of graduation, Lemons’ gaze is fixed on the future with hope and anticipation. “I am excited that my family and friends will be able to attend graduation, as they were unable to attend my high school graduation,” she shares.

Looking back on her journey as a transfer student, Lemons hopes to inspire others to embrace change and forge their own paths. “Changing directions in life can be frightening, but it can also be exactly what you need to find your path,” Lemons said.

As Lemons prepares to embark on the next chapter of her academic and professional journey, her story serves as a testament to the power of resilience, community and the pursuit of her passions in the face of adversity.