When do I register for courses?

Registration for summer and fall semesters begins in April, and registration for spring semester begins in November. Please see Marshall’s Academic Calendar for exact dates. Classes generally fill quickly, so it is best to register as soon as possible.

Your registration date is determined by your class standing and last name. Seniors register first, followed by juniors, sophomores, and freshman. See the Registrar’s Office for more information.

Please note that once you are able to register according to your classification, you can continue to drop/add courses through the end of the first week of each semester. After the first week of classes, you may no longer add classes but can drop them until the official last day to drop, which is the Friday of the tenth week of classes during a regular semester. See Marshall’s Academic Calendar for specific dates.

How do I register? What if the system won’t let me register?

Registration is available online via myMU. After logging into myMU, click on the “Registration” tab, and then click “add/drop classes” and select the semester for which you need to register. You can also register in person at the Registrar’s Office window in Old Main.

To check course availability, see the Registrar’s Office website.

If you are unable to register during your assigned registration window, a hold may have been placed on your record. Holds are placed for a number of reasons, including academic deficiencies, student status, incomplete admissions documents, outstanding financial obligations, or unmet prerequisites for certain courses. For assistance call the Registrar at 304.696-2252.

How do I drop a class?

You can drop classes online using myMU through the first week of classes. After the first week, students may no longer add courses and must see the Registrar to drop courses. To drop a course during the withdrawal period (the period after the first week and through the tenth week of classes), get a “Schedule Adjustment and Class Drop” form from the Registrar’s Office, fill in the required information, obtain the signature of the course instructor, and return the form to the Registrar. Students on academic probation must also get the approval and signature of the Associate Dean of the college before returning the completed form to the Registrar’s Office.

Please note that if you drop a high-demand course during the withdrawal period, you will not be able to pre-register for the course for the following semester. High demand courses include: ACC 215, BSC 227, ENG 101, ENG 102, MTH 121, MTH 123, MTH 127, MTH 130, SPN 101, and SPN 102. Updated listings of high-demand courses are available at the Registrar’s Office.

How many credit hours can I take?

12 hours per semester is considered full time, but many scholarships and financial aid packages require an average of 15 hours per semester. Please check your financial aid package to determine what individual restrictions you might have.

If you wish to take more than 18 hours during the Fall or Spring terms or more than 6 hours during a summer term, you will need permission from the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts. You can complete this request form at the College of Liberal Arts Office in 110 Old Main.




How do I find my advisor?

Advisors are assigned when students declare their majors. You can find your advisor through myMU under “Student and Registration Information,” or you can visit the College of Liberal Arts office in Old Main 110 or call 304-696-2350. Students who are Undecided will be advised by the University College Advising Center.

All students must have an advisor, and freshman and sophomore students must see their advisors (or the University College Advising Center staff) every semester before registering for classes. Advising holds are placed on freshman and sophomore registration accounts and cannot be lifted until the student has met with his or her advisor. Some departments have extended the advising requirement to all of their majors throughout the year. Check department listings in your catalog to determine specific advising requirements by major.

What is the procedure for registration advising?

Advising procedures differ depending on your major and how many credits you have completed. Following is a general outline by class standing.

Freshman (0-25 credits) and Sophomores (26-57 credits):

Freshman and sophomores must see their advisors every semester before registration begins. Be sure to make an appointment or visit your advisor during his or her office hours. To prepare for the appointment, you should make a list of courses you would like to take next semester. Your advisor will need your student ID/901 number to access your course history. Your advisor will guide you in the class selection process and then remove your advising hold.

Juniors (58-89 credits) and Seniors (over 90 credits):

Registration advising for juniors and seniors varies by department. Students with the following majors must continue to meet with their departmental advisors every semester during the junior and senior years:

  • Classics
  • Communication Studies
  • Philosophy
  • Religious Studies

Students with other majors should check with their individual departments for specific advising requirements.

In addition to any registration advising, juniors and seniors must meet with the COLA advisor to complete Degree Evaluations. Students who have reached 58 credits are considered juniors and are required to complete Junior Degree Evaluations to ensure that they are on track for graduation. Students who have reached 90 credits are required to repeat this process for a Senior Degree Evaluation. Juniors and Seniors will have registration holds on their accounts until this requirement is met.

To make an appointment for a Junior or Senior Degree Evaluation, visit the College of Liberal Arts in 110 Old Main, or call 304-696-2350.

How do I declare or change my major or minor?

You can declare a major or minor, change your major or minor, or transfer to a major in a different college at Marshall in the College of Liberal Arts office in 110 Old Main. Students must declare a major by the end of the sophomore year.

What is my catalog of record?

Your catalog of record is the one in effect at the time you declare your major, after which you have ten years to complete your program. If you do not meet graduation requirements in this ten-year period, then you must meet the curriculum requirements of the catalog in effect at the date of graduation. If you decide to change your major within the College of Liberal Arts or transfer to another college, you are governed by the catalog in effect at the time of change.




What email address will my instructor use to contact me?

Email from your instructors and all offices on campus will likely be sent to your Marshall University email address unless you choose to set a forwarding address at this site: Computing Services Email Delivery Location.

You can access your Marshall University email by logging into myMU. Please check your Marshall University email account often if you do not set a forwarding address.

What is my instructor’s email address?

Most instructor email addresses at Marshall University are available in the MU Electronic Phonebook Directory.


How do I know that I am on track to graduate?

Your major’s advising sheet is a great resource to track how you are progressing through your degree requirements. You will also meet with the COLA advisor for Degree Evaluations during your junior and senior years to check your progress toward graduation.

When do I apply for graduation?

Students should apply for graduation as soon as they register for their last semester of classes. The latest possible date to apply for graduation is listed on Marshall’s Academic Calendar.

Applying for graduation is a three-step process:

  1. Pay the $50 graduation and diploma fee at the Bursar’s payment window in 101 Old Main.
  2. Take the receipt of payment to the College of Liberal Arts in Old Main 110. The COLA advisor will need to check that you’ve met all of your requirements for graduation and will notify you when this process is finished.
  3. At the COLA advisor’s notification, return to Old Main 110 to complete an Application for Graduation.

Probation and Suspension

probation and suspension

Academic Probation

Students whose GPAs fall below a 2.0 will be placed on academic probation.

How do I find out if I’m on probation and what does this mean?

The College of Liberal Arts will notify you that you are on academic probation by mail at the end of the semester in which your GPA falls below a 2.0. Please read this letter carefully, as it details the specific reason for your probation, the privileges you lose, and the obligations you must meet until you raise your GPA above a 2.0.

Privileges lost while on probation include:

  • The ability to register online. You will have an Academic Obligation Hold on your account, which means that you can only register in person at the Registrar’s Office. You must also have the Associate Dean approve your choice of classes on a form called an Academic Improvement Plan.
  • The ability to register for more than 15 credit hours. In certain cases, you may only be allowed to register for 12 hours. See the Associate Dean for specific information regarding your case.

Obligations you must meet while on probation include:

  • Check your Marshall email regularly. The College of Liberal Arts faculty can only communicate with you via your Marshall email account, and we will send important information and reminders regarding your probation case.
  • Meet with the Associate Dean regarding all course scheduling matters. You must fill out an Academic Improvement Plan as well as gain the approval of the Associate Dean for all adds, drops, and other course changes.

What should I do once I’m placed on probation?

The first thing you should do is make an appointment to see the Associate Dean. Your probation letter indicates the dates by which you must meet with the Associate Dean. Visit or call the COLA office at 304-696-2350 to schedule your appointment. During peak registration times the Associate Dean is especially busy meeting with students, so it is best to schedule an appointment well in advance of registration. At this meeting, you will fill out an Academic Improvement Plan and discuss your options for returning to good academic standing.

How do I register when I am on probation?

You must continue to meet all advising requirements in addition to your academic probation obligations. You should meet with your advisor and the AD at least a week before registration begins. If you need to make any changes in your schedule, you will need the Associate Dean’s approval.

How do I find out if I am off probation and what does this mean?

The College of Liberal Arts will notify you that you are off academic probation by mail at the end of the semester in which your GPA rises above a 2.0. Once your GPA returns to above a 2.0, you are in good standing and can resume your regular registration privileges.

Academic Suspension

Academic Suspension is a period in which a student cannot enroll in courses at Marshall University. You will be suspended if:

  1. You are on academic probation and your semester GPA is less than a 2.0.
  2. You accumulate or exceed the Quality Point Deficit for GPA Hours (see chart below).

Your total number of quality points must be higher than twice your total number of credit hours. (Multiply your total number of A’s by 4, B’s by 3, C’s by 2, D’s by 1, and F’s by 0, and add these numbers to find your quality points. Next, multiply your total number of credit hours by 2.) Any number of quality points that is less than twice your total number of credit hours is a deficit.

GPA Hours 0-25 26-57 58-89 90 or more
Quality Point Deficit 20 15 12 9

The first time either of these instances occurs, you will be suspended for one regular semester (summer terms do not count as a term of suspension). The second violation of either condition will result in a suspension of one year. All subsequent violations will result in suspensions of two years. Please see the Academic Suspension Policy in the Marshall University Handbook for more details.

How do I find out if I’m suspended and what does this mean?

The College of Liberal Arts will notify you that you are on academic suspension by certified mail at the end of the semester during which one of the above violations occurs. Please read this letter carefully, as it details the specific reason for your suspension and its duration.

A student who has pre-registered and is subsequently suspended will have his or her course registration for the following semester administratively withdrawn.

Can I appeal my suspension?

If you believe that you have been suspended unfairly, you may appeal to the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts in writing. In this letter, you need to explain in detail the conditions that led to your suspension and what you are doing to correct those conditions.

Students who are suspended following the spring semester may enroll in summer classes with the intent of improving their GPAs. If the student earns good grades, he or she should include this information in the appeal letter.

Please send your letter of appeal to:

Robert Bookwalter

Dean, College of Liberal Arts

110 Old Main

Marshall University

One John Marshall Drive

Huntington, WV 25755

How do I return to school after I have completed my suspension?

First suspension:

  1. Following the first suspension, students may register for the semester following the semester or suspension. However, since a suspended student is not currently enrolled, he or she must wait until two weeks after enrolled students may register. You can find specific registration dates on Marshall’s Academic Calendar or call the College of Liberal Arts office at 304-696-2350.
  2. Make an appointment with the Associate Dean. You will be readmitted under academic probation and must follow all probation policies for registration.

Second or subsequent suspension:

  1. Send a letter to the Dean requesting readmission. Your letter should explain what caused your suspension and how  you plan to improve academically if you are readmitted. The Dean must receive this letter at least 30 days before the beginning of the semester you wish to attend. Please send your letter to: 

    Robert Bookwalter

    Dean, College of Liberal Arts

    110 Old Main

    Marshall University

    One John Marshall Drive

    Huntington, WV 25755

  2. Reapply to the appropriate office. After the Dean gives permission, your next step depends on whether or not you have taken classes at other institutions since you last attended Marshall.
    • Contact the Admissions Office if you have taken classes at another college or university. The Admissions Office will tell you how to send your transcripts from your other schools to Marshall and what you need to do to be readmitted.
    • Contact the Registrar’s Office if you have not taken classes elsewhere. Click on the “Readmission” link to see the form you will need to print, fill out, and submit to the Registrar’s Office at least five working days prior to the date of registration.
  3. Make an appointment with the Associate Dean. If you are readmitted, you will be on academic probation and must follow all probation protocol.