Pedestrian safety is our priority! We want to make sure all pedestrians safely cross streets around our campus. That’s why we started our campaign, Heads Up Herd – to remind students, faculty and staff to put their phones down and keep their heads up, so they can be aware of their surroundings when it matters most.
Reflective patches with a sticky backing are available for students and staff. Patches can be ironed onto a backpack or bag and are removable.
Patches can be picked up in the MUPD office at 1801 5th Avenue or in the Intercultural Affairs office in Old Main, room 107.
Pedestrian Safety Tips
- Keep your head up and your eyes off of your cell phone while crossing
- Cross streets on crosswalks
- When exiting a city bus, wait until the bus pulls away to cross the street – cars are not required to stop for a city bus and it could obstruct your view
- Always look left, right and left again before crossing a street
- Make sure you are SEEN
-make eye contact with drivers when crossing busy streets
-wear bright / reflective clothing and turn on your phone’s flashlight when crossing at night
- Walk on the sidewalk whenever possible
- Walk defensively – be ready for unexpected events
Partnership leads to changes in speed limit around Huntington campus