Marshall University Online Learning offers more than 600 courses that are 100% fully online, allowing you to start—and finish—an undergraduate or graduate degree, or earn a graduate certificate. Marshall’s online learning program offers close to 300 e-courses every semester and serves nearly 17,000 students annually.
With Online Learning from Marshall University in Huntington, W.Va, you can earn a quality degree completely online, while continuing to meet your work and family obligations. You’ll study with the same quality faculty and earn the same degree or certificate you would if you studied on campus.
Marshall University online learning offers many distinct advantages for today’s students, who need and want:
- Flexibility to fit in classes with professional and personal commitments;
- The opportunity to study for a degree anytime, anywhere, and earn a degree from an accredited and respected university; and
- An affordable college education. Our online students benefit from a special distance tuition rate that is less than Marshall’s regular tuition costs, and out-of-state online students pay the same special rate as West Virginia students. In addition, fully distance education students do not pay fees for on-campus services.
How Does Online Learning Work
Online courses are accessible to students with a wide range of computer experience. At a minimum, you will need a desktop or laptop computer, reliable Internet access and a webcam and mic. You should be comfortable using e-mail and accessing the Internet to go online. Blackboard support is available 24/7 and our IT service desk is available to help you.
Marshall’s Online Learning program delivers courses via Blackboard, an online learning management system. Fully online courses are the same as those taught on campus, but delivered asynchronously, so there are no face-to-face or on-site attendance requirements. You can also choose hybrid courses, which combine asynchronous and face-to-face learning delivered through Blackboard Collaborate, a two-way video tool. Review Online Learning FAQs.
You will communicate with your instructors using your Marshall e-mail, or by using the Blackboard Course Messages tool for your online course. Blackboard also posts general information and updates for online students on its News and Alerts pages.
What Are The Online Learning Tuition and Fees?
Fully distance learning students pay a prorated distance education tuition based on their level, up to the appropriate hours cap (12 hours for undergraduate / 9 hours for graduate). A student must be enrolled in an online program and be designated as a distance education student to receive the special tuition rate.
Campus Services for Online Learning Students
Even though you will not be on campus for your online degree program, Marshall University ensures that you can still access campus services as an Online Learning student. Here’s a sampling:
As an Online Learning student, you will be able to call your specific university college for advising help, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
IT Service Desk
The IT Service Desk in Drinko Library helps Marshall students online, over the phone or in person with a variety of technical issues.
Online Learning students can use their MUID to access online databases, web-based digital collections and other library resources from anywhere. The libraries’ online catalog and more than 100 online databases that provide citation-level searching and full-text articles are accessible from the libraries’ website. Students and faculty can request books or articles through the web-based Information Delivery Service, which is available 24/7. Most articles are delivered electronically without charge. For more information, please visit the Library website and Off-Campus Library Services.
This service offers asynchronous online tutoring via e-mail for students who cannot come to the Writing Center for a face-to-face appointment. Get more information about the Writing Center.
Your Next Steps to start learning online!
If you are ready to be an online Marshall student, complete our online application for admission. Students are encouraged to apply early to ensure all required credentials are available in time.
If you still have questions and need more information, please contact us today at email@example.com. We are ready to help you take your next steps to learn online at Marshall University.
Dr. Monica Brooks
Students should submit a support ticket or call Blackboard for technical help at 844-590-7561, or contact the IT Service Desk online or call 304-696-3200. Faculty should call the Instructional Design Center at 304-696-7117.
Disclaimers and DefinitionsThe online degrees listed below qualify for distance learning tuition rates. Consult the university’s tuition page to review distance tuition and fees (linked at bottom of tuition page). Certificates and Minors not listed on that page do not qualify for the prorated tuition and are subject to regular tuition and fee rates.
Course Designations and Definitions"Online course" refers to any distance education course in which 100% of the course content is delivered asynchronously. There are no synchronous, face-to-face, or on-site attendance requirements. Online courses are designated as such in the schedule of courses.
Designation: Online Course (OC).
"Hybrid course" refers to any distance education course in which a portion of the course is delivered synchronously with scheduled and required online, face-to-face, or on-site attendance requirements; the remainder of the course is delivered asynchronously.
Distance Learning RequirementsAll students enrolled in distance learning courses must have access to equipment (desktop or laptop computer, Internet, a webcam, and mic) that meets minimum technology specifications. Consult the IT Service Desk site for Recommended Hardware. Student IDs will be obtained online via webcam; instructions will be sent to each student’s official MU email account upon admission to a distance learning program. Additional student resources, including technology recommendations, are also available on the Student Resources webpage.
Online Degree ProgramsThe following programs are completely online. Students may obtain all required courses via distance-delivery:
- Ed.D., Leadership Studies
- MA, Counseling with areas of emphasis in:
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- School Counseling
- MA, Leadership Studies with areas of emphasis in:
- Educational Leadership (School Principal)
- Leadership Specialist
- MA, Education with areas of emphasis in:
- MA, Geography
- MA, Literacy Education (Hybrid)
- MA, Mathematics with an optional area of emphasis in:
- MAJ, Journalism, New Media Studies
- MBA, Master of Business Administration with areas of emphasis in:
- Military Management
- MSN, Nursing (Admin and Education only)
- MS in Accountancy
- MS, Adult & Continuing Education with areas of emphasis in:
- MS, Criminal Justice
- Distance Dietetics Internship
- Early Childhood Education
- Elementary Math Specialist
- Geospatial Information Science-Basic
- Instructional Technology & Learning
- Literacy Education
- Management Foundations
- Nursing Informatics
- Math Through Algebra I
- School Library Media Specialist
- School Principalship
- Teaching English as a Second Language (Licensure/Non-Lic.)
- Violence, Loss, and Trauma (VoLT)
Current StudentsIf you are transferring to a Distance Program, you may appeal your current designation by submitting a Request for Change in Distance/Regular Student Enrollment Form to the Office of the Registrar. The deadline for submitting an appeal is the last day of the fall/spring late registration/schedule adjustment (add-drop) period according to the academic calendar. The completed and signed request should be faxed to the Registrar at 304-696-6476, scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mailed to the Office of the Registrar, 106A Old Main, One John Marshall Drive, Huntington, WV 25755.
Prospective StudentsDistance Students in these programs are not expected to have a campus or classroom presence during their academic careers and are afforded a distance tuition rate in lieu of regular tuition and fees. The special distance tuition rate is set with the understanding that students have needs and interests different from those students paying regular tuition and fees. Specifically,
- Distance Students are generally restricted from participating in and/or gaining access to certain university activities and events. They are eligible for certain student services related to their program such as advising, career planning, etc., as well as other student support services.
- Distance Students are not eligible for graduate assistantship opportunities.
- Distance Students are prohibited from registering for and attending traditional face-to-face classes. Exceptions to this include courses in which the student participates only via an electronic link (video and/or audio) and graduate courses for staff development offered through the College of Education and Professional Development.
- Distance Students who register for a traditional face-to-face course may have that registration removed from the student schedule by the appropriate dean or registrar's office.
- Distance Students who revert to a regular enrollment status to register for and attend one or more traditional face-to-face classes may not be able to be approved for subsequent return to Distance Student status to be eligible for the Distance Student tuition rate.
- Distance Students who change majors to a different degree program will automatically revert to a regular enrollment status. Such students must reapply for designation as a Distance Student even when changing directly to another qualifying distance program.
- Attention MU Employees: distance tuition is not eligible for employee waivers or graduate assistantship benefits. Third-party remission or contractual courses approved by your advisor are the only exceptions. When admitted to a distance program, you must select "Regular Enrollment Status" to be eligible for employee tuition waiver benefits. Contact our office if you have questions: (304)696-6474 or email@example.com.