The West Virginia Engineering, Science and Technology Scholarship (a.k.a. WV STEM Scholarship) Program is a student financial aid program designed to enable and encourage academically talented individuals to pursue careers in the fields of engineering, science, and technology in West Virginia.
WV STEM Scholarships, not to exceed $3,000 per academic year, are awarded on the basis of academic qualifications and interest in the fields of engineering, science, and technology. You must apply by March 1st. If you do not have a WVSAM Account, you will need to create one in order to apply.
Criteria to Apply
- Be a United States Citizen or resident alien.
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale upon graduating from high school or have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale after completion of two semesters of course work at an eligible institution of higher education.
- Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in engineering, science, or technology program leading to a certificate or an associate or bachelor’s degree at an eligible institution of higher education.
- Agree to work full-time in an engineering, science or technology field in West Virginia for one year for each year the scholarship was received or begin an approved program of community service related to engineering, science or technology.
- Be willing to repay the scholarship received plus interest and any required collection fees if he/she fails to fulfill the work requirement.
Priority is given to West Virginia residents.
Criteria for Scholarship to Pay
Students must be enrolled full-time and in a program of study that qualifies under engineering, science or technology. Students must be meeting Satisfactory academic progress.
A 3.0 cumulative GPA must be maintained. The STEM application must be completed each year. Awards can be renewed for up to 3 years.