At Marshall we utilize the WordPress publishing platform, an open source Content Management System that allows the creation of beautiful webpages and blogs. Editing WordPress is intuitive, easy to use, and simple to maintain.
WordPress is a very flexible and popular website creation tool, used by many famous blogs, news outlets, music sites, Fortune 500 companies and celebrities. Marshall uses WordPress exclusively, and we work diligently to ensure our environment stays safe and secure.
Departmental webpages are sites that can be requested by any official Marshall University Department or Office. These sites are traditionally provided with access to the main university template and official University branding. Departmental pages are limited to 100mb, and may need to be approved by the University Office of Communication prior to being launched as an official Marshall University Webpage.
- Departmental Site Request Process
- Please prepare the content for your site and get an idea of or plan out your sites navigational menu. This helps to expedite your site’s creation, and also helps you to visualize your site to ensure your site meets or exceeds your expectations.
- Fill out the Website Request form. Someone from the IT Enterprise Web team will contact you to discuss your needs, and further identify any particular requests, URL preferences, or administrative setup.
- Allow 1-2 weeks for the web team to fulfill the request and meet your demands. Allow more time for custom requests.
- The site will be created and will use the official university WordPress theme (MUx2) and approved plugins. Sample content will be loaded to the page to ensure that it is functional.
- The support ticket will be updated when the request has been completed and will contain any additional information needed to log in to the new site.
- Website content and media updates are to be done by the site content manager after initial setup
- Website updates are to be done by the site owner after site launch
- Accessing your Departmental WebpageYou can find your Departmental Webpage at the URL specified during your site creation process. Normally the URL should resemble something similar to this: http://www.marshall.edu/your_department.
- Editing your Departmental WebpageTo edit your web page, open the WordPress admin page at http://www.marshall.edu/your_depratment/wp-admin file, and login with your MUNet credentials.
Regardless of the site you need, our expert staff is here to support you and every site is important to us. We offer different site themes and a vast array of approved plugin options, and if you have any questions regarding what options are available to you, please contact the MU IT Enterprise Web team for further details.
- SupportThe web team offer basic support to all Marshall University WordPress content managers. Editing WordPress is pretty intuitive and the software is fun to use. While editing your content, if you have general questions, we recommend searching Google or wordpress.org for an answer, or viewing one of the excellent videos available on Lynda.com. WordPress is an open source technology and there are thousands of forums where users ask questions. However, if you run into larger issues or have more complex needs while editing and need help from our team, please contact the Help Desk to open a support ticket and we will be happy to assist you. But, please be patient, we support thousands of sites, and we consider all Marshall Websites a priority.
- TrainingWe periodically (four times a year) have WordPress Essential Training seminars. In these training sessions, we will help users with varying degrees of content authoring experience to better understand the fundamentals of WordPress and best practices to follow when designing a Marshall University website.
For more information
Contact IT Service Desk