The mission of the Information Security Office is to support the goals of Marshall University Information Technology by assuring the availability, integrity, and confidentiality of information.
The MU Information Security office strongly recommends using antivirus software and keeping operating systems up-to-date. Symantec® Endpoint Protection (SEP) is an antivirus software solution which is offered to all Marshall students, faculty, and staff at no extra charge.
The current version of SEP is available as a web download for Windows and Mac OS operating systems. A MUNET account username and password are required to access the download link.
There are two download options of SEP available:
- The PERSONAL/HOME version is optimized for use by students, faculty, and staff on personally-owned computers that are frequently used at home or on-campus. Be sure to uninstall any existing anti-virus software before installing this version of Symantec Endpoint Protection®. Running multiple antivirus applications can cause problems with your computer.
- The MANAGED version is optimized for installation on University-owned computers. Virus-definitions are received through LiveUpdate whether on-campus or off. The managed client software also periodically updates the MU campus server with the security status of the client – whether protected, at-risk or infected.
If you have questions, concerns or comments, please contact the Marshall University IT Service Desk @ 304-696-3200.
Protecting Your Data
- Tips on Keeping Your Computer Safe
- Back It Up!
- Updates & Patches
- Creating Hacker-Resistant Passwords
Malware & Scams
- Phishing Scams
- Identity Theft
- Spyware & Adware
- Viruses & Worms
- Copyright Infringement & P2P File Sharing
Security at Home
- Safe Social Networking
- Wireless Security At Home
- Mobile Security
- 10 Immutable Laws of Security
- Countdown: Top 10 Computer Myths
- Information Security MythBusters
One John Marshall Drive
Huntington WV 25755
Chief Information Security Officer:
Jon B. Cutler, MS, CISSP
One John Marshall Drive
Huntington, WV 25755-2066
New location for buttons for reporting Spam and not spam July 18, 2019 The location of the buttons used to report Spam and Not Spam has changed.
Migrating V: Drive to OneDrive July 9, 2019 Over the next two months, Marshall University will be migrating all V: Drive storage to ...
[Service Outage]: Lynda Campus June 19, 2019 6/20/20: As of 1:00 PM Lynda Campus is now available. Please report any access issues ...
Marshall University Cyber Security Advisory January 10, 2020 This message to all students, faculty and staff has been approved by Edward Aractingi, Associate ...
Upgrade to WiFi Certificate December 20, 2019 MUIT has completed an upgrade to the MU WiFi and Eduroam wireless networks on campus. ...
Employee Loses $$$ In Bogus E-mail Scam April 11, 2019 (Please don’t let this this be you.) The Marshall University Information Technology team have received a ...