English composition placement information, 2016-2017
ACT Verbal Scores
- 17-below – ENG 101 Plus (P)
- 18-27 – ENG 101
- 28-33 – ENG 201H (not restricted to Honors students)
- 34-36 – tudents receive credit for ENG 101 and 201 (contact Dr. Megan Marshall at email@example.com for details.)
SAT Evidence-Based Reading & Writing
- < 470 – ENG 101P
- 480-630 – ENG 101
- 640-760 – ENG 201H
- 770-800 – Students receive credit for ENG 101 and 201 (contact Dr. Megan Marshall at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.)
- English Test—Challenging ACT score lower than 18 – ENG 101 (SOATEST=CM03) West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission requires students to have a scaled score of 71 on the English Skills test.
Please note that students may also have COMPASS Reading scores (CM04), but those scores are not used for placement in ENG 101.)
ENG 101P and ENG 101 count as the same general education composition requirement. Students who pass ENG 101P or ENG 101 with a C or better move on to ENG 201.
Honors College students should be placed in ENG 200H. If they pass that class with a C or higher, they receive credit for ENG 101 and 201 (though many will have scores that already take care of the composition requirement or AP or dual-enrollment credit for one or both classes).