College H.E.L.P. Application Checklist
Thank you for your interest in the Marshall University H.E.L.P. Program. Below you will find detailed instructions regarding how to apply to the H.E.L.P. Program and the additional steps and materials needed to make sure that you have submitted a complete application. Although every attempt is made to contact applicants regarding incomplete applications, the final responsibility falls on the student. Incomplete applications cannot be processed or considered for admission. Please, refer back to this page as needed as a reminder of the required steps.
- Read and complete the “College H.E.L.P. Application” form.
- Submit copies of psychoeducational testing with a diagnosis of ADHD and/or SLD. Testing must include an intelligence test given under adult norms and be no more than three years old. In addition, an educational evaluation assessing reading, math, and written language must be provided that is no older than one year. Provisional admission to College H.E.L.P. is possible pending updated testing. You may click HERE or call (304) 696-6316 to learn more about our Diagnostics Division.
- Two references, other than family members, stating why that individual feels the student should attend college. Make sure to follow-up with your reference to be certain that they submitted your request.
- One-page hand-written statement by the student (without help) regarding why the student wants to attend college. Be honest and reflective, not perfect.
- An interview is required for admission to College H.E.L.P. Call (304) 696-6252 to schedule an appointment.
- To participate in H.E.L.P. you must be admitted to Marshall University, which is a separate application process. If a student does not meet the admissions criteria for Marshall, H.E.L.P. does have the option of writing an exception letter on the student’s behalf; however, this is not a guarantee that the student will be admitted. If the Marshall University admissions committee accepts our appeal, the student will be required to commit to two semesters with H.E.L.P.
- Pay nonrefundable $50.00 application fee. (Make check payable to “M.U. HELP Program” or call (304) 696-5220 to pay be credit card).
- Include a photograph with your application material, as it gives us a way to remember you.
- If a student is taking medication, a statement from the physician regarding the medications prescribed is recommended.
Mail Application Materials to:
Marshall University H.E.L.P. Program
Attn: Debbie Painter, Director
One John Marshall Drive
Huntington, WV 25755
Phone: (304) 696-6252
Fax: (304) 696-3231